Forty One

{edited}

May POV

Harry finished painting her room a few hours ago. Both of us are standing in the doorway looking in at the dry walls.

The colors are pretty and they match well.

The box for the crib is in the corner and Harry leans against the door frame. "Only two more months and she'll actually be sleeping in here." I smile.

"Yep." I stroke my belly with my thumb. His lips touch my cheek. I press my head against his chest and take a deep breath.

"Are you okay babe?" Harry asks me.

No, not really. I keep remembering that my mother used to hit me and once my Dad cared.

"Yeah." I say. I bite my lower lip.

"If you ever need to talk, I'm here." I pull away from his chest and kiss his lips.

"Thank you." Harry doesn't respond, he just strokes my hair with his hand making me close my eyes.

May POV {15 years before}

As I'm walking down stairs someone knocks into me making me stumble back.

"Oh, jeez. I'm sorry." An unfamiliar voice says to me. His hand on my arm. I look to who it is and hilt my head. His hair is curly and his eyes are bright green. Dimples appear on his cheeks. "Hi, I'm Harry." His hand sticks out toward mine.

"Hi, I'm May." I shake his hand and smile gently.

"How old are you May?" Harry asks curiously.

"I'm uh 5." I had to think about it for a while. "You?"

"I'm 6." His dimples are still on his cheeks. "I gotta get to Sadie's room, but nice meeting you."

"Y-you too." He soon walks back up and I look at the bottom of the steps and see my Mother.

"Have a crush?" Her eyebrow raises.

"I just met him." I defend.

"I'm just asking. You don't want your heart to break by some boy who will never give you time of day do you?" I bite my lip.

"It's a good thing I don't like him then." I dismiss the conversation. "Is Daddy home?"

"He's in the dining room." I walk over to the dining room. His laptop is on the table and he looks serious.

I pull a chair beside him and glance at the screen. "When will dinner be ready?"

"Your uh uncle is coming down for dinner so I don't know." His voice seems tense.

"Uncle Nick?" I ask.

"Uhuh." I nod.

"Can I go to Adam's house?"

"They're going to be here in an hour. Go play with your dolls." He continues to type.

"I have no one to play them with." I say.

"What is Ellie doing?"

"Watching TV in her room." I huff. "I don't want to bother her though."

His face seems tense and sad. "Why do you look mad Daddy?" I ask him.

"Just busy working." I nod.

"Sorry for bothering you." I slide off my chair but his voice stops me.

"You're not May." I look back at him. "Tell me about your day."

I smile gently and sit back on the dining room chair.