Chapter 6

Later that evening, Jane and I lay propped up by pillows on her narrow bunk bed, in a head to toe position. The small lamp on the bedside cabinet presents a dim light, creating a cosy atmosphere in the room.

"Charles exceeded all my expectations," beams Jane, leaning her head back and sighing.

"He surprised us all. I've never seen mum nearly die of happiness like she did tonight when we told her. Our poor neighbours."

"I really like him. Are you sure he likes me though?" Jane thinks and speaks so modestly of herself that I have to talk sense into her regularly.

"Jane, he talked to you for most of the night and stared at you for the rest of it."

Her laugh is one of pure giddiness and happiness. I love to see her this way, I'm pleased that her and Charles have made a connection.

"Pity about his sister and what's his name though," I frown. Jane sits forward and rubs my arm affectionately. "I know, I can't believe what he said about you!"

"I would expect nothing less, coming from a guy like him. I don't understand why he had to behave like that, and to bring our social status into the matter? What a snob. I could easily forgive his pride, had he not mortified mine."

"That is terrible," sighs Jane. "If only there was - oh, how could I forget!" she says, almost in frustration with herself. "Charles has invited me and you to attend his house warming party, tomorrow night! And I'm sure Charles will have some nice friends there, who might be of an interest to you," she adds with a wink.

"Let's hope," I think excitedly. "Thank goodness the girls aren't going. They are a bit young to be out with Charles and his friends," I state.

"Tell me about it."

"Only one problem though," I say.

"Oh no, what now?"

"What will I wear?"

Out of pure excitement and nervous energy, we find this comment hysterical and collapse down on the bed in fits of laughter.

"There's always a drama with you Eliza, always."

A/N: In the last week this story has gotten over 300 more reads which is amazing - thank you so much! Xoxo