Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Love is a strong word.

There seems to be a moment of silence on the whole floor, everyone pauses as the news sinks in, and there's not a ruffle of paper or key pressed.

Then there's chaos.

There are shouts across the room, people going out and coming in. Someone's yelling that Lucas needs to be notified. I push Harry away from me, making him stumble slightly, but I can't think about that right now. My eyes are set on Emily, and my mind is thinking of questions.

"What do you mean?" I catch her elbow as she passes Harry's desk, going to her own.

She snaps her head to me, her blond curls whirling around with her. The marks at adore her face are still red and the skin around it looks bruised. I feel some satisfaction that I was the one to do that. "Let go of my arm," she seethes.

"Who does Evan have?" I ask, though I'm not sure why because I have a good guess at whom it is.

I just want to be told.

"Who do you think?" She snaps. "Mitchell, of course!"

It felt as if the wind was knocked out of me and I lose my balance. I step back, feeling arms around mine. My hands covers my mouth, holding back the sob that threatens to escape as I feel tear weld up in my eyes.

This can't be happening.

They just said they had eyes on Jess and would be protecting her.

They failed.

I failed.

I could've told them sooner and they could've done something quicker. Brought her in and told her what Evan's plans were. Sure, Jess would refuse at first, but she'd eventually realise, and she would be safe right now.

Not in the hands of a murderer.

"What happened?" Harry demands.

Emily's eyes reluctantly leave mine, softening faintly. Some part of me recognizes that she'll be gentler with Harry because she's still hooked on him, and that part makes me want to boil, but I can't. I'm too stunned.

"Lee lost her when she got out of her classes and went into a food place. The lay out wasn't good for him to keep an eye on her, and Mitchell was in a blind spot when Evan got her." I face Harry, burying my head into his shoulder, my dry sobs muffled. "Lee went inside to see what was going on because he couldn't see her, and that's about the time Evan took off with Mitchell hostage."

"So what are we going to do?" Harry's quick to ask, his hand running lines up and down my back. It doesn't help calm me down.

"First Lucas needs to know─"

"No!" I break, twisting back to her. "What are you going to do? What's going to happen? Are you─"

"Listen, little girl─"

"Hey!" Harry stops Emily. "Don't talk to her like that." The look in his eyes is one I haven't really seen lately, and it quite honestly scares me.

Emily starts to back talk but can't get much in before Harry over powers her smaller voice. Words are jumbled and slurred together to the point I can't make out whose voice is whose. I can see Emily start to get flustered and red faced. Her hands are clenched by her side, her knuckles a ghost white.

My mind breaks down everything frame by frame.

Harry points his index finger at Emily, accusingly.

Emily's eyes narrow.

Emily's fist move ever-so-slightly.

She lunges.