20: The Phoenix Wasn't Down, But In The End, Charlie Was... Literally

"Are you guys totally sure about this?" Liam wondered, worriedly pacing the foot of Scott's bed.

Scott was currently lying on his bed, his normally tan skin seeming to have paled since the start of the plan. The totally, unsafe, idiotic, unbelievable and dangerous plan that involved practically stopping Scott's heart.

Kira stood to Scott's right and her mom to his left, both Yukimuras watching Scott and listening to Liam.

"I-I'm not," Charlie stammered, cursing himself for his stutter. He couldn't help it, it was just something he was used to doing.

He was standing beside Kira, his nervous heartbeat almost made Scott smile. Maybe Charlie wasn't as mad at Scott as he had been those few days ago at the school.

Or, maybe it was just Charlie being Charlie and that meant being nervous. Charlie was almost always nervous about something.

"I think Liam's kind of nervous," Kira commented towards Scott.

"Kira," Charlie shuddered out breathily, "I think we're a-all nervous."

"Maybe you should tell them it's gonna be alright," Kira whispered to Scott.

"I don't think that will work," Charlie leaned into Kira and Scott's conversation, whispering loudly.

He was never good at whispering. He believed there was a difference between talking softly and whispering; Charlie was a very soft talker, but, for some odd reason, he was the worst whisperer.

Stiles made sure to remind Charlie ever since Charlie's supposed whisper got Stiles grounded..

For a month.

Scott sent Charlie a small smile, Kira giving Charlie a slight glare, and Charlie suddenly realized that Kira had meant for Scott to indirectly tell her it was going to be alright.

"Oh..." Charlie nodded, "Right," he slowly leaned away from the couple, giving them a little space.

"It's gonna be alright," Scott told Kira, gazing up at her with softened doe eyes.

Charlie suddenly felt like he was interrupting an intimate moment and he couldn't help the heart ache that he suddenly had to deal with.

He missed staring at Malia when she wasn't watching. He missed analyzing her face when she wasn't paying attention.

To Charlie, Malia was a unique beauty. Her confidence was something he was constantly envious of. She was rarely ever fearful of anything, whilst Charlie was fearful of everything.

And her skin... Her skin reminded Charlie of summer, always seeming to stay a warm tan, even in the cold months. When Charlie was around Malia, winter was practically nonexistent, especially since she always kept him flushed.