Chapter 7

.

.

- Luke -

.

People seemed to look confused, but the choir continued to sing anyway as I sighed.

Getting up from my seat, I walked to the back of the church and through the door she came from.

She was sat on a bench, weakly crying as her arms were crossed over her chest.

Jamming my hands into my pockets, I slowly made my way towards her as I sat down.

"Hey. A pretty girl like you shouldn't be crying. What's wrong?"

"Oh, well a person like you shouldn't lie next to the church." She chuckles lightly, wiping her tears as I smiled, looking at her questioningly.

"What happened back there?"

She cleared her throat, sadly looking down at her hands.

"You can tell me."

"I don't know if I can trust you.. I mean you're just like all of them."

"All of who?"

"Everyone in general, I guess. I try to see the good in people, and all they do is let me down.."

"I won't let you down, right now. I promise you can tell me." I nodded.

Diana sighed, slightly slouching.

"That song.. Was the song my mom wrote for me, a few days before she had passed away. Sh-she sang it to me.. That night at the hospital, before the heart monitor beeped straightly. I don't know why I suddenly just broke down, I mean.. I don't know. I'm so sorry, I'm just completely

embarrassing myself, aren't I." I whispered, sniffling as a tear streamed down my face once again.

"I'm so sorry. I'm really sorry that all of this is happening to you."

"Are you really? Or are you just saying that?" She murmured.

There was a silence. I knew that I wouldn't get myself to tell all the boys that I even said all this to her.

They'd probably never want to speak to me again if I did.

I shook my head. "I'm trying to mean it. Hey, look. I'm here."

"Mmm." She shrugged as I leaned in for a hug, my arms comfortingly wrapping around her small form as she cried into my shoulder.

"Thank you, Luke." Mumbling her words, she pulled away from the friendly gesture.

"So do you want to tell me how you're feeling, Diana?" I glance at her, taking in all her facial expressions.

"Erm. I'm fine." She says, but another tear slips.

I chuckle, "No lying next to the church," I say.

"Ugh fine, I don't really know, I always break down when I sing that song. So many memories, so many hard feelings."

 "Well c'mon, let's walk. Shake it off a bit." 

Diana looked at me as if I were insane but then her face relaxed and I, out of nowhere, grabbed her hand and stood up. Her hands were cold against my skin as I, once again out of nowhere, intwined my fingers within hers.

She looked surprised again, as if she didn't know what I was doing. But I did it because there was a part of me that really wanted to, and so I did.

"Luke?"

"Yeah?"

"It's been tough, you know? Please don't back off on me. I trust you, okay?"

I gave her a reassuring smile and she looked away.