nine

"So how was your day with George?" Hermione asks, while biting a piece of bread. "It was well. We haven't talked in a while so it was really a good moment of bonding. He closed the shop early today because he was going to meet Angelina because they've got big news ahead and I don't even know what it is" He sighs.

"How about you and Ginny? how was your day?" Ron asks, munching a chicken leg right after.

"Well, nothing much. Just that we bought ourselves formal dresses for dinner at Slughorn's."

"Oh.. nothing else in specific?" He asked, looking at her eyes eagerly wanting to know what else had happened. He is beginning to suspect something odd with Hermione ever since.

"Well, we did saw muggle studies featured in a book shop today. I think it was absolutely kind of them to put so." She says. Ron took a deep breath, trying his best not to overthink too much. She might be telling the truth, after all we've been best friends ever since. He thought to himself.

Half of the night was spent silently. Though as soon as Ron finished his meal, he was the first one to start a new conversation. "Hermione,"

"Yes?" Hermione startled at Ron. She thought that Ron was already saying something and she wasn't paying attention at all because she took glances at the man near the fountain.

"Look, about... Lavender,"

"No no you don't need to explain. I understand and I shouldn't have reacted like that." Hermione nodded.

"But that's exactly what I want you to feel"

"What?" Hermione gave him a puzzled look.

"Hermione.. I'm starting to worry"

"About?"

"About us, of course. I'm beginning to think that you don't care about the girls that fancies me. N-not that I'm bragging about it of course, but I mean look at Ginny and Harry. I bet you can't see even one wink off of a girl to Harry. Ginny's always there to remind those girls that Harry is in fact taken"

"Are you saying that it's my fault Lavender dropped amortentia in your drink?"

"No, not that. I'm not blaming you for that. It's just that I never seen you jealous before" Ron pursed his lips.

Hermione was speechless. It was true that she never got jealous. But Ron feels like it was mandatory for their relationship.

"What are you talking about, I broke up with you because of jealousy remember?"

"Yeah but not like what happened before. Viktor Krum, Draco Malfoy--" Ron started mentioning men whom he gets jealous of.

"Draco Malfoy?" She cocked her eyebrows.

"Well, yeah. Didn't you know? Back at hogwarts he had a terrible crush on you in the years maybe of one to four?"

"I did not know that" Hermione shook her head cluelessly.

"Well of course I wouldn't want to tell you, you're my best friend and you can't go around with a death eater"

"Good point."

"But seriously Hermione, are you hiding anything from me? Anything at all?" Ron asked with a serious look on his face.

Hermione had felt guilt and pity over Ron. She wouldn't want to break his heart. She wants to fix their crumbling relationship. She still does.

"N-no."

Ron nodded, silently saying "okay" and asked for the check from a waiter.

The walk was silent, Ron's hands were down in his pockets and Hermione was wearing his jacket since autumn is already coming near. They both felt the cold breeze of air as Ron sighed and broke the silence once more.