Chapter 6 - Nigel Quintin Ulysses

CHAPTER 6
NIGEL QUINTIN ULYSSES

Seeing Blaine Maximus with the new guy in the school is kind of pissing me off; I don't even know the reason why I'm getting annoyed by the fact that I'm seeing them buddy-buddy together. It's not the fact that Blaine Maximus is an openly gay guy who is always being bullied by some of my teammates in the basketball team. No it's about Mark Pierson being comfortable immediately with Blaine Maximus, whom he just met not even thirty minutes ago.

Before I was annoyed that Mark kept following me, but then I knew that he has the same classes as mine, so that quickly went away. Then there were times that he wasn't really paying any attention to me, even though in the third period, where he decided to ignore me, I accidentally (the actual word would be purposely) threw him my pen, but it landed on his table instead. I got it, hoping that he'd give me a glance, but he didn't. He was completely engulfed in the lesson that the professor was spewing to us while I was busy trying to capture his attention. When he didn't give me even a brief glance my way, I figured that I had already pissed him off. Somehow.

Blaine and Mark keep talking, hands motioning in the air as they talk about something rather interesting. Because if Blaine isn't talking about an amazing stuff, Mark will not be amused as Blain tells him the story. Suddenly I'm interested to know what Blaine is sharing with Mark because it seems so entertaining, considering that Mark will chuckle every so often. His table is just four tables away from me, but it's enough to see what they are doing from here.

I'm not really fond of Blaine because really he's basically an outcast of Northern High School. As I said before, people here don't have a problem with the other people being gay or lesbian or transgender, but there are some people, like some of my teammates in the basketball team, who don't like them but they aren't really the type to bully them – like shoving them, telling them disgusting stuff, calling them names. No my teammates are far better than being a complete assholes. To be honest, they just don't like Blaine. At all. According to one of my teammates, Reymar, Blaine just gives him an off vibe. I don't know what that is, but it's not a good thing, according to him. Blaine only has a few friends, but they are not from Northern High School. So seeing them together will make people wonder what's up with Blaine. People know better than to hang-out with him.

"Hey Nigel," Reymar calls out to me, tapping my forearm with his index finger. I turn to look at him and he jerks his chin towards the direction of Blaine and Mark, who are still engaged with a deep conversation. I look at them again over my shoulder and see Blaine leaning down and whispering something in Mark's ear. Something flares up inside me that makes me want to go there, tear Blaine from him, and yell at him for being so close with Mark but I quickly flush it away. I try to, though. "Tell that new guy that he shouldn't be hanging out with Blaine. Blaine screams trouble, we all know it."

"Why do you guys hate Blaine again?" I ask them, turning around to give them a confused look.

They all just shrug, munching on burgers and fries they have ordered. June speaks up. "I don't know; there's just something about Blaine that radiates bad vibes. Can't point it out though." He reasons out, taking a huge bite of his cheesy bacon burger. "I mean, we have no bad blood with him. We really don't. It's just that yeah, he screams trouble. He's weird. In a way. I don't know. God, I'm confused now."

"You're confused now?" Noel asks teasingly; they all snicker at that except June, who frowns at them and gives the bird. "Just kidding, June. But you know, if you ever go gay, we'd accept you. In fact, we already do." June throws him a piece of his fries, and the guys laugh at that.

I tune them out, turning around to watch Blaine and Mark again. But they are no longer in their seats. My eyes search frantically, scanning the whole cafeteria; I find them walking through the isle of tables, to the direction of the hallway and something tugs in my chest again – it's not a good feeling. In fact, I feel like my heart is burning in a bad way.