Chapter 61

Luke and Lorelai filled in immediate family first on the news of the twins. Rory and Logan were overjoyed. Emily was exuberant. Sookie was beaming. Liz and TJ were excited. Jess and Natalie offered their congratulations.

Knowing that two babies would make Lorelai's belly become more apparent quicker, they decided to make a blanket announcement at the next town meeting. It would fill everyone in at once, rather than going to each town resident individually.

Luke and Lorelai walked toward Miss Patty's Dance Studio, preparing themselves for the reactions they would surely receive. They found two vacant seats near the front, slipping down into them before someone else could stake a claim.

"Order, order." Taylor Doose banged the gavel while standing behind his prized podium.

Everyone migrated to their seats and turned their attention to the town's selectman.

"We have several things to cover tonight so let's get started. First, as you know, spring is quickly approaching and summer will be here in no time. We are beginning preparations to get the town pool up and running, which can be very time consuming. While the pool doesn't open to the public until Memorial Day, we do offer private rentals, weather permitting of course. We also are working to get the floaty hut repaired so that it can open the same time as the pool."

"Did you ever catch the vandals who damaged the floaty hut?" Luke asked, no longer pretending not to care about the topic.

"Here we go..." Bootsie chimed in.

Luke turned around. "See the door, Bootsie? That's where you should be heading."

Bootsie harrumphed at Luke but said nothing else.

Taylor tapped the gavel. "All right, you two. Cool it. To answer your question Luke, yes, we have. Do you remember the Banyon boys who caused all sorts of ruckus ten to fifteen years ago?"

Miss Patty rolled her eyes. "Oh, I do. They were terrible!"

Taylor nodded. "They most definitely were. Well, come to find out, the three hoodlums who damaged the hut belong to the Banyon's. They've already been in contact with the county juvenile probation officer and have worked out an arrangement to pay for the damages."

"There ya go, Luke. Your precious floaty hut will be saved."

"Can it, Bootsie," Luke barked, clearly irritated with the fellow town member.

"Moving along. I am happy to report our tourism revenue has increased thus far in 2017. I believe we have Lorelai to thank for that with the addition of the Dragonfly Spa."

A round of applause was offered.

"Thank you, Taylor." Lorelai was pleased that the spa was frequently booked under Michel's guidance. He had done a stellar job, not only in the renovations, but in the interviewing and hiring qualified staff.

"Thank you, Lorelai. Stars Hollow is booming with well rested, happy residents and visitors. Though, one problem I have noticed is that Peach Street is becoming a little more congested than one would like. If possible, can you try to offer alternative suggestions upon arrival or at departure so that we don't end up with a nasty traffic jam?"

Heaving a big, loud sigh, Lorelai agreed.

"Next on the agenda— our very own Ruthie Thomas has been chosen to display artwork at the county courthouse beginning next Monday. If you're there, attending to business, be sure to stop over and see her piece entitled Zombies in the Hollow." Taylor paused. "Maybe leave the younger kids at home for that one. It may be too graphic for them."

Shuffling through papers, Taylor continued. "On to an update on the beloved Stars Hollow Gazette, editor Rory Gilmore has certainly kept the paper alive, though we did have issues with the seasonal poem, bless her heart. We have gotten a higher subscription rate— up to forty-eight, which is an all-time high!"

Lorelai chuckled. "Bernie Roundbottom apparently couldn't get off his bottom to increase subscriptions!"

"Lorelai, please." Taylor said, shaking his head. "Turning the floor to Luke and Lorelai Danes now, they've asked for a few minutes at the end of the meeting to address the town."

Luke and Lorelai stood up, moving behind the podium.

Lorelai smiled as she gazed at the residents of her beloved town. "Luke and I have some exciting news to share and thought this would be a good way to reach a majority of townsfolk."

Grinning, Luke placed his hand on Lorelai's back. "Lorelai and I learned late last year that she is pregnant."

Kirk jumped up. "What? You learned this last year? So you've known for a couple of months and didn't tell us?"

Lorelai was startled, as she wasn't anticipating any push back. "Yes, that's true, but we didn't want to jinx the pregnancy but we have actually since learned that we are having twins so—"

Babette gave Luke a thumbs up. "Twins! Good going, tiger!"

Miss Patty dabbed at a nonexistent tear. "That's wonderful news, honey!"

Taylor held up a hand. "Hold it, we will need to alter our contingency plans now because we did not factor in children!"

"Maybe Luke will be able to focus on something other than the floaty hut now!" Bootsie commented, pleased with his own remark.

Luke rolled his eyes but any retort was stopped by Lorelai relaying the babies' due date. Taylor took volunteers to chair a committee for the planning and execution of a baby shower. Ideas and comments were thrown around. The town meeting erupted into chaos as everyone fought to be heard. In the end, it seemed as if the news was met with excitement and the town was looking forward to experiencing the joys to come with two of the most beloved residents.