e i g h t

A couple weeks passed. Everyday was pretty much the same. I spent a lot of time with the women of the group, washing clothes. Some days I would play with Carl and Sophia when Lori "went to scope out the area" with my dad. I still couldn't believe that she was so selfish.

I confronted her one day about it. She was walking back from their "spot" and I walked straight up to her.

"Did you see anything out there?" Her head snapped up.

"No, I-we had to kill a couple w-walkers, but that was it." She stammered.

"Oh really? I thought you would be to busy "doing it" with my dad to see anything." Her eyes widened with fear and surprise.

"I-I don't know what you're talking about." She glanced back to try and find Dad.

"Well, I hope you're happy because Rick was a million times better than my dad ever will be." And I stormed off.

It has been a couple days now. Lori hasn't had the nerve to lock me in the eye since. Glenn and I have gotten ever closer. We're constantly talking, and it really helps the days pass. He seems to be the only person, besides Carl, who can make me genuinely laugh these days. Rick used to be able to.

Daryl has been ever the mystery. Whenever I look at him his eyes are always on me. But he hasn't come up and said anything to me. However, Merle is a world class douche. He has come up multiple times telling me things that make me blush thinking about them. But every time I just tell him to screw off and Daryl stands there like a bump on a log.

Today Glenn, Merle, T-dog, Andrea, and Jacqui went to the city to get supplies. I stayed back here and I've hated every second of it. Dad said since he's not going, I can't go either, which sucks. I hate just waiting around. I waited long enough for Rick while he was in his coma, and look how that turned out.

Through the day, I just sat with Carl and Sophia. They play with these little stick dolls that Carol sewed for them. Carl of course has superheroes because he's too "manly" for dolls. They remind me of the old world. No need to worry about a walker coming up behind you and biting into your flesh. You could go outside and play with your friends until dark, and even passed that. It was depressing, but this was the new life, and we had to accept that.

It was hard without Glenn. There was no one to talk to. Carl and Sophia were too young, and all of the women were too old. Then I remembered, Amy! She was close to my age. I looked around but didn't see her.

"Carl, it's getting dark, you and Sophia come with me back to the fire." Sophia picked up the toys. And they ran to catch up with me as we walked back to the fire. Dale was frying some squirrel that Daryl had shot down before he left. I took a spot by the fire besides Amy.

"Hi." She smiled up at me. "How are you?"

"Pretty good. It's lonely without Glenn though." I smiled sheepishly. "How about you?"

"Well, it's that time of the month again." She winked at me. "Andrea is getting some stuff for me on their run." I looked at her with a look of pity.

"That must suck. Mine luckily finished right before this happened, so I should be good for a couple more days at least." That got me thinking. What if it did happen? I wasn't prepared at all! "Hey Amy, would you mind once mine starts again if I could use some of you stuff?" I looked up at her, embarrassed.

"Sure! A little unprepared I see." She gave me another wink. "Us girls have got to stick together." She giggled as Carl came over.

"What so funny?" He said pouting since he wasn't a part of the fun.

"Oh nothing." I smiled as I pulled him onto my lap. "Just girly stuff."

"Ewww." He said sticking his tongue out. "Girls have cooties." Me and  Amy burst out laughing. I guess some things don't die with an apocalypse.

"But I don't do I?" I asked, ruffling his hair.

He scrunched up his face, debating. "No, but Sophia does." He whispered as if it was a secret.

"That's right buddy." I smiled picking him up. "Go find your mother." And he ran off.

"I can't believe they have to grow up in this." I sighed. "They're so innocent and this world is making them grow up so fast." I turned to Amy. "I'm just scared. I mean, we could die tomorrow for all we know." She looked at me with her eyes huge with surprise.

"Aspen! We're not going to die tomorrow! We've got a great group here, and they'll protect us!" She said with vigor. I just wished I believed that as much as she did.

"Okay Amy." I sighed. I wish life could just go back to the way it was.

"Amy! Aspen! They're back!" Someone called as Amy and I got up and walked over to the car that the group took on the run. I caught a glimpse of Glenn and ran straight to him, embracing him in a bone crushing hug.

"Woah Aspen. I didn't think I was that awesome." He chuckled as I slapped his arm playfully.

"Shut up." I said, but I was smiling bigger than I bought possible. I looked past him and caught Daryl's eye.

Daryl's POV:
I approached the group and saw Aspen rush up to Glenn. Damn. That Chinaman is a lucky one. One she finally released him from her grasp, she turned and caught my eye, but she quickly looked away. Why does she do that? I guess she doesn't know me that well. Then she started walking straight up to me. Shit. This is not good.

"Hello Daryl."

"Hey." I mumble.

And then she walked right on past me. What the heck? "Hello Daryl." We don't say one word and then she just comes up and says hello? What the hell? Woah, Daryl, chill. She's just being nice. I took a deep breath and released it slowly as I turned around and went out into the woods.

I needed to go hunting.

Aspen's POV:
I finally built up enough courage to talk to Daryl, and he mumbles a hey?! Really?! Is that the best you can do?! Okay Aspen, chill. He's just a guy. Take a deep breath. I need to get out of my own head! I turn back around and start making my way towards Glenn. If anyone can get me out of my head, it's him. That's when I see someone else getting out of the back of the car.

Could it be? Is he... No... My dad said he was dead...

As he gets closer and closer to the fire I begin to see his face more clearly. It is him...

"Rick?!"