Epilogue

So what do you think, good, bad or so,so? Express yourself, vote, follow, comment and stuff.

And stay tuned for the next book, Viking Witch (you might want to put it in your library so you wouldn't miss it)! Also, starting on The Viking's Hold #2, Emma, have a look!

For six weeks we were blissfully happy. I had a cradle made for my son as I didn't like the custom of having him in our bed. I feared that we would smother him. Einarr had it carved with images of his gods, so that they would protect our little boy in his slumber. I would have preferred a less overtly pagan theme, but I had to admit it was beautiful, and it could rock side to side, which did a lot to ensure the peace of our nights. I teased my husband, wondering openly about his strong need for sleep, and whether he might be too old to be a father.

"You are wrong, Sunngifu," he answered me with a wiggle of his eyebrows, "I am training him to be at ease with the movement of a ship. It wouldn't bode well for him to be sick on a raiding party, a trait he might have inherited from his mother..."

I released an outraged gasp and he chortled. "Do not worry for my sleep, there are other activities I wouldn't want our son awake for, although to achieve this I might have to gag his mother."

I shrieked in fake rage and chased him into the Hall, to the amusement of our servants. Since my heroic bout and the birth of an heir, the reservations they had about me seemed to have melted. Following in Lady Disaelfr steps, they now treated me with the respect due to their Godi's wife.

There was something different about Einarr too, although I couldn't quite pinpoint what is was. I put it on his accession to fatherhood, and on Sigurd's defeat. After months of worry about our safety, he could allow himself to enjoy life.

So I was unprepared when one evening, as we were having dinner with a group of travellers on their way to the Althing, he stood and toasted me. "To my wife, whose courage and strong character saved our lives. May she carry many more sons. To Sunngifu!"

My face was on fire as I stammered what I hoped was a graceful answer. While women were sometimes mentioned in toasts, they were not usually the sole object of it. I was more embarrassed than flattered.

Einarr was aware of it, but it didn't deter him. He fumbled in his satchel and retrieved a small silk pouch. There was a ring inside, of thick silver engraved with runes. He took it and raised his hand for all to see. Then he slid it on my finger.

I looked at it in awe. "I cannot read this, what does it mean?"

He smiled. "Beloved wife, mother of a son, fierce warrior. An accurate description of its bearer, I believe."

"I do not think so, save, mayhap, for the middle part." This was exaggerated, at best. I was no heroine.

He brought my hand to his lips, his eyes fixed on mine. "You have the heart of a warrior, if not all the skills, little dreki. And you are beloved," he whispered, pausing to kiss my fingers. "I had this ring made to let you know that you regained my trust. Actions speak louder than words, and you have proven to me, to all of us, that you were worthy. I love you, Sunngifu."

I was at lost for words. My lips trembled as I struggled to hold my tears, until I couldn't and threw my arms around his neck. "Thank you, thank you..."

He silenced me with a kiss.

Soon it was time for Einarr to go to the Althing. With him were his mother, his men, the farmer who had warned us and Sigurd's defeated warriors, who were fairly angry at how they had been used by their Godi. My husband and Lady Disaelfr had convinced them that Sigurd's claims were unfounded, and they loathed him for their injuries and the death of their companions.

The Althing court ruling was quick and harsh. Sigurd was outlawed and banished from the island. No one was to house or feed him and he could be killed on sight. Several Godar rode back with Einarr and stood outside Sigurd's Hall while they allotted his properties to my husband, his men and Sigurd's farmers as wergild.

Hrefna's freedom was rescinded. She was an escaped slave who had attempted to commit murder and did not belong to Sigurd, and therefore, he couldn't free her. She was returned to Einarr, and I pleaded for her to be executed. I didn't want her anywhere near our home.

My husband, however, didn't agree. "She is a young and beautiful thrall, Sunngifu, killing her would be a waste. It will be a far more cruel punishment for her to live a long life as a slave, now that she has had a taste of freedom."

So she was scourged as I had been, thrown into the shiel for a night, and then dragged kicking and screaming to the trading post and sold to a trader leaving for Heiðabýr, a large merchant town on the route to the land of the Rus. She was bartered for the price of two cows, which is what I bought with the coin Einarr gave to me. I thought these animals were a suitable replacement for her.

Sigurd left on the same ship, his fare paid by Einarr in memory of their past friendship, and I was relieved that he wouldn't be able to hurt us again.

After this chaotic start, our life settled into a peaceful routine. Every summer after the Althing the ships would be brought to sea. The men would leave for the summer raids and we wouldn't see then for months. During that time we worried and prayed that they would return to us. Both Mildred and I have been lucky, as both our husbands have survived storms and battles to this day.

I have birthed many children, six of which are still alive. My second son was born with badly deformed legs. The labor was long and hard and I lost so much blood that I was unconscious for a day. When I awoke I searched for my child and I was told that he had been exposed. My heart broke and for months I cried over my lost boy. Einarr told me that he had stabbed the bearn's little heart with his seax, sparing him long hours of agony in the bitter cold. I couldn't blame him; it was necessary. The poor angel could never have survived the hardships of this world. But his death will forever be a thorn in my heart.

All my surviving children are married but my youngest daughter. She had been fostered by a prestigious Godi and is promised to his son. My farm will be her dowry. Soon enough all my earthly possessions will be useless to me. I wish that the illness eating my breast will let me live long enough to attend her wedding.

I do not fear death. Five years after I came here, the Althing decided that the island would become Christian. Einarr was reluctantly baptised, yet he still retains his former beliefs. I know that he still worships his gods in secret, a practice that was allowed at first but is now forbidden. I will not tell, even to the priest. It would be unbecoming for a wife to betray her husband, and I love him too much for it. The pagan temple was turned into a church; I am glad that I will be buried with the rites of my religion. It will allow me to be with my Einarr again at the end of times.

On sunny days I stand on the cliffs and watch the sea, hoping for a sail to appear, telling me that he is coming home. When it doesn't my eyes wander away, far over the glistening waters, where sits the land I used to call my own. I think of my father, my brothers, Ailith, and wonder what has become of them. Do I have many nephews and nieces? At the start Einarr was coming back with tidings but then he ceased to go. He never ransomed them again, they were kin. My captivity was their freedom.

As I remember my last day in my father's hall I have no regret. I cannot wish or imagine a better life. My reckless behavior ended up being a blessing in disguise, for without it, I would never have become a Viking's tribute.