f o u r t y - n i n e

"I THINK... Mary and Lucian have been planning this for a while," Blayze told me. "As well as West's agreement, Lucian has been sending our people for years, to recruit new Brown Wolves. Our numbers doubled - no, tripled - in just a few years. I can't believe I didn't notice the increase before I found out about the agreement."

"Blayze, it's not your fault," I sighed. "He brought you up and you practically idolised him. There's no way you would've seen through his facade because you thought he cared for you."

"Actually, he does care..." He trailed off slightly. "When Mary told him about the Soulmate Curse, he told her that it didn't matter; that he would still keep me by his side, regardless... Because I was like his son."

"But you couldn't stand him lying to you."

"No father would lie or keep secrets from his son," he answered. "It was like... He betrayed me."

"That's why you left," I finished.

"And made my life a living hell."

Blayze recoiled at the Liam's harsh words and I glared at him to stay quiet.

"I'm s-sorry, I didn't mean for-" he stuttered.

"Don't apologise," Liam gritted out. "Because I won't accept it. You don't deserve to be forgiven."

"What did I ever do to you?"

"More than I can think of," he answered. "For one thing, you came here."

"What?" he asked.

"You said you didn't want to stay with Lucian. What I don't get is why you came here... I mean there are so many other places you could have gone to."

"I had to warn you and Weslyn," he murmured. "If the Bronze Pack arrived when you weren't expecting..."

"And you're underestimating us, Walker. We were born, not made into Beasts. We have complete control over our actions."

I wanted to intervene and stop them... But their fight had started because of me. If I involved myself and took sides... It would only make things worse.

"Then, why do Brown Wolves still exist?" Blayze demanded. "If you're so perfectly in control, why are you still attacking innocent humans and turning them into werewolves? Why do we have to go through so much pain for your mistakes?"

"So we're talking mistakes, are we? That's funny; coming from you," Liam laughed coldly. It was as if every last drop of warmth had been drained out of him. "I mean, you can't even remember what happens in your Wolf form." There was something sinister about the way he spoke. It was as if he wanted to destroy Blayze. "And you're an orphan, aren't you?"

My eyes widened as I realised what he was implying. If he had no idea what happened when he was in wolf form and couldn't remember how he was orphaned...

"Don't you dare..." he growled.

For the first time, I saw the calm facade surrounding Blayze crumble away and burning rage replace it.

"Makes sense, doesn't it?" Liam taunted. "You must've killed your parents."

I didn't know if it was something I sensed or just pure instinct... But before I knew it, I threw myself in front of Blayze, just as he lunged forward at Liam.

When our eyes met, I felt a chill run down my spine. His eyes had become as black as it did for Gray Wolves.

My grip on his arm tightened. It didn't make any sense... And that was what terrified me the most.

"Blayze..."

The moment I thought of him, shades of silver and bronze seeped back into his eyes.

Almost as if he had heard my voice.

For a few minutes, neither of us spoke. Instead I listened to his breathing, as it slowly returned to normal.

"You're probably right, actually," Blayze murmured. "I was probably the one who killed my parents." Liam stared at him in shock, obviously not expecting him to agree with him. "But does that really matter anymore?"

"Really, Walker?" Liam was the one to shatter the heavy silence that hung in the air. "Do you really get the connection?"

"What connection?" I asked him, glancing at Blayze, who looked just as perplexed as me.

"It's quite simple, Weslyn," Liam began. "If Walker killed his own parents, what's to say that he won't hurt you?"

"Liam, that's enough," I snapped. Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw Blayze trying to control his anger. "If you really care for my safety, find a better way to show it."

Bringing Blayze's parents into the fight was one thing but using me to as weapon to hurt him...

Liam had crossed the line.

"So now, you're taking his side? The side of a Brown Wolf, who you don't even know?"

"You know," I whispered. "When you think about it... I don't really know you, either." I took a deep breath. "17 years is a miscalculation, right? It's only been a month."

"What are you trying to say?"

"I don't know," I muttered. "There's so much that I know I'd like to say, but there's no point in saying it now... Because none of this matters anymore, Liam."

He glanced at me, his face filled with confusion.

"After the war is over, Blayze won't be a problem to you, anymore," I told him. "He's going leave Gray Valley forever - just like you wanted him to."