Chapter 16

Nara was fazed in the subway home. She was not expecting such a sad backstory from that tall guy who always appeared cheerful and carefree around her.

The subway was a bit empty as it was not peak hours. The seat was almost vacant so she could enjoy the bridge view when the train was crossing it.

Then someone sat next to her. "Candies?" He offered. It was Youngho.

Nara studied his face. Not once he looked like he was troubled by something in his past. He even carelessly sucking his lollipop. She took one of the candies.

"Bad day? You look fazed."

"Why are you here? Are you stalking me?" She ate the candy as she tried not to think about what Doyoung told her earlier.

"What? No. I just came from the shop to get my motorbike checked. Something's wrong with the brake." He brushed his hair back. "And I'm on my way to buy a welcoming present for Haechan."

She turned to look at him. "Really? Can I come with you?"

Youngho raised his eyebrow. "You want to? Even if it will look like you're having a date with me? I mean- we're going to walk here and there and-"

"Knock it off. I'm coming because I care for the boys. I want to buy them something." She flicked his forehead.

"Wow, your mood swings worse than my mother." He rubbed his forehead. "What was that about? It hurts. And they're my brothers, I need to be selective which things you're giving them."

Nara chuckled. "One, I can only do that when you're sitting down, so now's the opportunity. Two, they're not your brothers biologically. You're not even Chinese for Renjun and Chenle."

Youngho stared at her with lollipop in his mouth. She had become like him, explaining things with one, two, three. He softly smiled.

--

"We should get that one. Bono Bono looks like Jeno." Nara pointed at a Bono Bono doll inside a vending machine. "But it looks hard."

Youngho stretched her hands and handed her the paperbag of the other stuffed animals. "Hold this, please." She just rolled her eyes as he brushed his hair back. "Don't you know I'm a pro?"

He inserted the coins and started moving the claw. He aimed for the Bono Bono doll at the corner. Nara watched carefully and anxiously as the claw grabbed hold the doll. It was a fail so she sighed in disappointment. The next three tries were also fails.

"Wait, wait. It's a bit more. I can get this."

He tried again and moved the claw. His eyes sharply measured the distance of the claw and hoping he would get it. This time, the doll was stuck in the claw and successfully dropped through the hole.

They both were happy and unknowingly hugged each other. Nara was the first to let go of him. "Sorry."

"I wish it was a bit longer." He joked as he squatted down to take the doll.

Nara felt her cheeks flushed.

"Let's go. We have everyone's present." He took the paperbag in her hand and let her walk first. "After you."

The two walked away from the vending machine. Nara walked awkwardly and Youngho noticed that. He pushed her lightly with his body.

"Why are you so awkward? It's just a celebratory hug." He laughed.

"Stop joking around." Nara said in English. She almost fell from his push but managed to stand up straight. She fixed her bag's strap position on her shoulder.

"I'm curious with your accent. Do you mind if I ask?"

"Sure. Shoot."

"Did you live in England or something?"

"I still do. My parents live there."

"So do you live here alone?"

"Nope. With that girl who told you my address. My sister."

"You should have said 'that eonni' instead of 'that girl'. It's your sister."

"She's not my sister."

"Now that's more rude."

"But she's not. I'm adopted. Her parents adopted me when I was ten. A nice Korean couple living in Croydon." She said lightly. Youngho stopped walking.

"You're adopted?" He was shocked. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean- wow I'm the rude one."

Nara chuckled. "It's fine. Not a big secret anyway. It's not like I did an accident-" she covered her mouth. "I think too much. Sorry."

"You do. You always do." He walked again. "So you're here for what?"

She almost said that she played piano, but she didn't want to remind him the bad memory. "I study architecture. But currently on a leave absence."

"Really? No wonder you're always there in DDP."

"I was there because Nayeon eonni sells- wait. How did you know that Nayeon eonni knows me that time?"

"I saw a keyring that looks like yours so I asked her. And she said it was from overseas so only two people have them. I asked if she knew you and she said yes. That's about all. Don't overthink."

"Okay. Enough. I know I always overthink. Don't point too much." She sulked. "Done with your questions?"

"Done. Hehe." He giggled. They walked past an oden stall. "Ah, it smells nice. Should we have some before going home?"

"Okay. I'm not that hungry but it looks delicious." Her eyes grazed the foods.

"Oh? Youngho hyung?" A voice from behind recognized Youngho.

"Jaehyun?"

"Ah, you're with Nara too. Hello." Jaehyun greeted Nara with his dimples. "I was shopping with Yuta hyung and Taeyong hyung around here. They were still queuing inside."

"Okay." Youngho said as he dig in his food.

"Ah, hyung. Have you read that Doyoung hyung was transferred to a new academy? I heard today he was meeting the new principle."

Nara almost choked at her omuk broth. She could see that Youngho's expression was a little less lively than before.

"I don't care." He finished his ttokbokki in one swipe. "Eat slowly."

"It's a bit hot." Nara lied.

"I'm just saying that you should try to forgive yourself, hyung. That's all. I don't know what made Doyoung hyung transferred, but I'd like to think that he knows something."

"Think whatever you like, Jeffrey."

Then Taeyong and Yuta came with shopping bags in their hands. "I'm hungry." Whined Taeyong.

"Let's eat together, five of us." Yuta initiated as he checked his watch. "But not for long, Inhae hyung will expect us to be at the studio by two hours."

"She's not hungry. We're just having some snack." Youngho paid for the food and put his hand on Nara's shoulder. "We're going home now."

"Ah, wait wait-" Nara hadn't finished her food. She nodded at the three guys as Youngho pulled her away. "I'm going first." She said to the three.

Taeyong looked at Jaehyun. "What did you say to him?"

"News about Doyoung hyung being transferred."

Yuta sighed. "Any news is better than that news, Jaehyun ah."

"Somsthing must have happened before he was expelled. And the reason was weak. Smoking would not make him get expelled."

"And you think Doyoung knows?" Taeyong asked.

"I feel like he knows something." Jaehyun stared at Nara from a far. "And that girl. I think she knows too."