Chapter 20

(Two days later)

Nara started her practice again for the third time. Mr Jung stopped her and turned off the metronome.

"Something bothered you?"

"I guess so." She fixed her hair. "I'm sorry, I will try again."

But even on the first line, she already messed up with the keys. Mr Jung stopped her hands. "Let's take a moment. Get some air."

"Okay." She went out to buy drinks at the cafeteria.

Then she met Doyoung. She almost forgot that he moved to this academy. He greeted her cheerfully. "Nara ssi!"

"Hi." She greeted him.

"I'm having a late lunch. Want to join me?"

"I'm just taking a quick break. I'm still in the middle of practising."

"Ah, okay."

She went to buy hot chocolate drink and saw Doyoung sat alone. 'Should I join him and talk about what happened?'

Nara went to Doyoung's table and took a seat in front of him. "I can join you for a few minutes." She said and he smiled widely.

"Sure." He ate another spoonful of soup. "I heard you had a date with the boys."

"Yeah, we did. It was fun." She fidgeted her fingers. "Doyoung ssi.... Well, I don't know how to say this."

"What is it?"

"Youngho ssi. He knows that I'm a piano student."

Doyoung almost choked on his soup. "R-really? What did he say?"

"He looked a bit upset. But he did say good luck." She said. "And now it feels awkward. And I don't want that."

He smiled. "He likes you. He can never hate you." He said confidently.

"Don't say things like that. I don't even know how to return his feelings."

"Is it about what happened at the secret gig last time? When you ran away? There's another guy, I presume."

"My ex, yes."

"Look, Nara ssi." He put down his chopsticks and spoon. "An old love fades so the new one can replace the vacant space. I'm not saying you can forget it completely, but to live inside memories, is not good for your...conscious."

Nara widened her eyes upon hearing Doyoung's words.

The first moment Youngho poked her arm for a 500 won coin, the soju drink in a tent bar, the moment he threw his helmet on her, the way he swiftly put helmet on her, that random winks he made, the juice drink she liked, the moment he whispered in her ear.

...and the moment he stopped her from seeing Youngjin. Twice. And how she secretly watched him being all friendly and worried toward the boys.

She realised that all he did was insignificant yet it made her heart warm.

"You know the answer yourself." Doyoung said, snapping Nara back into the moment.

"I guess I do."

--

Nara decided to go home and cleared her head so she could think what she should do. But she saw a car parked in front of he apartment building. She knew it perfectly that it was Youngjin's car.

He got off the car as soon as he saw Nara walked closer. "You're home."

She just nodded and grabbed tight her totebag.

"I want to see you."

"Oppa, I think I-"

"I brought you your favourite juice." He handed her the juice. "It's not cold anymore, though." He chuckled. Nara kept having flashbacks on how she used to love that smile and laugh of his.

"Thanks." She stared at the juice.

"I'm used to with the flavour now. So am I a pro, like you?" He joked.

"I guess you are."

"A tough day at the academy?"

"Not really." What she actually remembered that day was when she had conversations with Doyoung at the cafeteria. "Just a few off keys."

He ruffled her hair. "I know you can do it."

She blushed by his action. The old feeling she had not felt for quite a while. She unconsciously gave him a smile.

"So.. Do you accept me again? I promise I'll be better this time."

Nara was conflicted. She knew well that they broke up in a weird term. He had something to be pursued. And so did she...

"It will sound like a perfect couple. Me as an anchor, and you're a pianist." He said.

She scoffed. The sole reason she studied piano was because Youngjin thought she should have something she was great at. Nara only played piano for fun, while he thought she could master it well. So then she enrolled in music academy, taking breaks from her architecture school, which she liked.

"Don't you think it's too much?" She said.

"What? We can have a dream, right?"

"You. You can have a dream. And I don't know why I'm being dragged with your little perfect depiction of life."

"Nariya, I'm-"

"You forced me to take piano classes. Just because you said I can't be good in architectural designing."

"I didn't mean it that way. You said it yourself that it was hard and tiring to be in front of that drawing table all day. I just told you other opinions."

"But you didn't ask how I feel."

He widened his eyes. "Yeah? Then how do you feel? I ask you now."

"It is tiring, and hard, but I feel happy. Seeing Nayeon eonni's drawing got made into real stuffs, made me wonder if I would ever be that happy someday when I made something." She said.

"But you always love playing piano."

"I do. But I feel burdened when I know I have to be good so I can prove you something. That I'm always not good enough for you."

"I never think of you that way."

"You always do." She exhaled. "A guy I know once said you have to leave you comfort zone to know how you really feel."

Youngjin was confused with her words. "And?"

"I don't want us to be together again." She held back her tears and tried to keep her words clear. "After the recital I will leave the academy and continue my study."

"You can't- you can leave the academy, okay. But can't you consider us being together again? I will try to understand you."

A tear fell down her cheek. "'Try'? Is that the best you can say?"

She walked away when she heard a motorbike drove closer. Wiping her tears, she knew it was Youngho. 'Please save me.'

"Nariya!" Youngjin tried to stop her from walking away.

Youngho threw the helmet and Nara caught it. "Put it on. You look ugly when you're crying." He said from the bike.

She smiled and put the helmet on.

He offered his hand. "Get on."

Nara scoffed a little. "I will never have a say on this, won't I?"

"Never."

Then she took his hand.