Chapter 25

(The day of school's talent show)

"Noona!" Chenle yelled frantically as he saw Nara from a far. He and Jaemin were waiting for her in front of the school building. "Come, I'll show you your seat."

"Will you be okay if you watch alone? Youngho hyung can't make it- I don't even know where he is to even begin with." Jaemin said as they walked together.

Nara stopped her feet as she heard that. "Where is he?"

"I don't know. Hyung hasn't been home since the last time he went to the hospital... So that will be six days ago." Jaemin counted.

'He hasn't been home since he talked to me? What is he up to?'

"But let's wait a little more. Hyung once didn't come home like for a week." Chenle commented. "Probably in the shop to repair his motorbike. He's obsessed with that."

The three walked into the auditorium and Jaemin made her left hand comfortable by putting small pillow underneath, even though she had her gips on.

"Thanks, guys." She said. Jaemin and Chenle excused themselves.

There was an empty seat next to her, where Youngho supposed to sit. But someone came and sat on his spot. "It's empty, right?" He asked.

Nara noticed that it was one of Youngho's friends, but she couldn't remember his name was. "It is... I'm sorry, I forgot your name."

"Ten." He grinned. He brought a bouquet of flowers for her. "Here. Congrats for being discharged." He said in english.

She accepted the flower with her right hand. "Thanks, it's pretty."

"You're welcome." He adjusted his seat. "He asked me to give this to you. And to watch the boys for him." He leaned in to whisper at her. "They're going to dance, I was their coach."

"Ah okay." She knew by 'he' that Ten meant was Youngho. "Did you meet him?"

"Not even once after he was discharged."

"Jaemin said he wasn't home for six days."

"Really?" He gaped his mouth open. The light was turned off, signing that the show was about to start. He whispered at her. "Where do you think he go?"

"I don't know. But my words will make responsibility for what he's been doing."

"What did you say to him anyway?" He asked in english, then quickly spoke again, "Sorry, but you speak english, right?"

She chuckled. "Yes, I can." She sighed. "I don't know. Let's just hope he doesn't do anything stupid."

"I believe in him." Said Ten. "Ah, it's starting." The audience started to clap to welcome the first performance.

--

(At the same time, in a piano room)

Youngho played his best to recall his senses on the piano. His sweats and five cups of coffee indicated that he had been there all day.

In anger of not finding the right key, he hit the keyboards with his knuckles.

"This is frustrating." A drop of sweat fell from his forehead. Then he looked at his hands. He suddenly remembered Nara.

He sat straight again and positioned his hands to play again.

"Don't stretch so much, you need some rest." His mentor, Mr. Han, tapped his shoulder. He just came from the pantry with his bear mug filled with chamomile tea. He then sat next to Youngho. "For someone who hasn't touched piano in 2 years, you sure are talented."

"Don't say that."

"Who is this special girl anyway? I'm curious."

/flashback to six days earlier/

Youngho hastily made his way into his old music academy. Every eyes that met him stopped and stared to his existence. He could hear people was talking about him.

'Isn't he Senior Han's student? The talented kid.'

'But he broke his mentor's fingers, it's terrible.'

He didn't come to hear the chatterboxes so he went straight to the teacher's office. He still knew the places like the back of his hand.

"Seo Youngho ssi?" The cello teacher recognised him. "What brings you here? Did you reapply?"

"N-no. I uh, Teacher Han..." He didn't know what to say.

"I'm here." A fatherly smile greeted him from afar. He approached him. "It's been a long time."

"Can I talk to you, sir?"

"Anytime." He signalled him to walk to his piano room. The same room where Youngho used to have practices. He offered him a seat. "So, what's the great news?"

Youngho awkwardly sat down, almost hit his knees in the process. "Well, I- I w-want you to teach me again."

"Again?" His response made Youngho lost his confidence.

"Can't I?"

"You've always been my student, why should I need to teach you again? It sounds like I have to restart everything. Want me to teach you Hanon again?" He joked.

Youngho felt relieved. "Well, for a second I thought you don't want to see me."

"You're my son, at least in this piano room. Why would I not want to see you again? You're always welcomed here." He tapped Youngho's knee. "So, what's the news? I don't think you suddenly wants to play piano again just because you want me to teach you again. Right?"

"Uhm, yes." Youngho was caught. "I want to help this girl. I kind of promised to help her, from the start."

"It is indeed a great news, then." Mr. Han's mind wondered off as he rubbed his grey bearded chin. "So, a girl."

"Yep. She's um... She plays piano as well. And it will be helpful if you can make me start practicing again. In here."

"In one condition." He became serious.

"W-what is that?" Youngho felt nervous.

"Introduce me to that girl." Said Mr. Han, fixing his eyeglasses position.

"O-okay. Anything else?"

"Since you're asking for it...," Mr. Han inhaled, "Practice everyday, whenever this room is empty. You have a lot to catch up and you need to re-enrol to get your room access. No phones, no slacks,...and importantly, no smoking."

"I don't smoke anymore, sir." He took out his lollipop and other candies. "I replace them with these." He smiled happily.

Mr. Han patted his head. "Good." He then stood up and gave Youngho the Beyer piano book. "Since I'm a good old person, start from this."

Youngho just rolled his eyes to his mentor's weird joke. But he thanked him for welcoming him as his student, not making him someone who broke his fingers.

'I guess Nara was right.'

/end of flashback/

"I told you I will introduce you later." Youngho teased his mentor. The old man just laughed. He put down his bear mug.

"I don't know how she's like when she plays, but from the name you gave me, she will have a duet in upcoming recital. Her duet was another prodigy like you. Kwon Jinah. She will need a miracle to make that duet work, considering her situation with her hand."

"I know. But she has me."