24. Vampires and Cryptic Warnings

"That was," Leo slowly mumbles to himself, staring at the back of Damon's head rest as we speed out of town.

  "Awesome!" Zeke interjects, jumping in his seat behind me. I turn around to glare at him, complete bewildered by his attitude.

  "Awesome?" I challenge, shaking my head in disbelief.

  "Yea awesome!" Zeke shouts, his hands pounding on the back of my seat, continuing to pump himself up. The vibrations rumble through my body doing little more than making my stomach roll. "Did you see that things head pop!"

  "I think I am going to be sick" I moan, clutching my stomach. My eyes slide shut, but the disturbing image of brains oozing over the side walk makes them open once more. I can't escape the images, the feeling of that thing clawing at me. It replays in my mind over and over again, haunting me.

  Damon notices my discomfort, glancing at me with such concern that I feel the need to try to smile, to try to dissuade his worry. It is of no use however, even with just a glance he is able to penetrate through my disguise, to see all I try to hide. Keeping one hand on the steering wheel, he reaches for me with his other. Scooping my hand in his, he rubs me gently with his thumb, soothing me as much as is possible in such a situation.

  "I call I get to stomp on the next one!" Zeke grins with excitement, completely oblivious to everyone's discomfort.

  "There are more?" Leo, having been snapped out of his trance by the thought, gapes at us. He shakes his head in disbelief, in hope that this can not be our reality.

  "Yes." I confirm in a whisper, even as my heart sinks in my chest at the affirmation.

  "How did this happen?" Leo asks, leaning toward us with the need to know all that we can offer. Sadly, having no idea myself, I am left with only a shrug in response. "We have to warn everyone!" Leo's voice rises in panic, sitting up straight now that he has a new priority pushing him on.

  "And say what?" I snap, instantly regretting my tone when his eyes cloud over with despair once more.

  "We have to do something," He argues, but his conviction has faded. He sinks back into his seat, all fight deflating from him, losing himself in his thoughts.

  "He is right though," I offer, Leo's comment infecting me with a guilt that I can not ignore. Tilting my head to Damon I try to catch his eye, to get his opinion, but he only clenches his jaw tight as he concentrates on the road. "We can't just leave everyone."  I urge, but still am only met with his silence.

"Eh, we're surrounded by country bumpkins," Zeke shrugs carelessly, "everyone and their grandma has a hunting rifle. They should be fine."

  "This isn't just some hypothetical situation!" I scold, turning in my seat to once again glare at him. How can he be making jokes in a time like this?

  "I'm being serious," he counters, his brows knitting together in confusion at my outburst.

  "People could get hurt!" I cringe, my words sinking deep within me, my guilt clawing at my heart.

  "Have you seen some of these people shoot?" he teases, a wry grin pulling at his lips.

  "This isn't funny!" I shriek, losing control of my nerves, anger, and fear all at once.

  An eerie silence fills the car, only broken by the light dinging of stones hitting the undercarriage. The car shifts and jerks, the little used dirt path we are flying down doing its best to shake us off our course. Even as we are pushed and thrown by the momentum Zeke manages to tense, staring at me with wide eyes.