CHAPTER FOUR; THE DUKE OF ASKALEV'S TASK

CHAPTER 4

🔱THE DUKE OF ASKALEV'S TASK🔱

The silence felt like a thick wall that nothing could cut through. Here I was sitting in the same carriage my buyer, or master was sitting in. I fidgeted in my seat as the duke looked outside the window, as though lost in a thought that did not need to be interrupted.

I cleared my throat slightly, in means of him telling me what was happening. My mind was filled with question after question. What did he mean I was going to 'bewitch'? If it was anything that was going to have me killed, did I have any say in it? Was this strictly the reason I was bought to be a sacrifice?

"There is no need for you to overthink the situation, if there is something on your mind ask." He said without tuning to face me, his lips turned up .

"Well your excellency, I just wanted to know what you meant by what you had said earlier." I said carefully choosing my words.

"Well Vanessa, what do you think?" he responded.

I could not help but look at him in disbelief, what was he getting at?

"I'm Kidding." He turned to face me with an insincere smile. "Well, even if you did know the reason behind my words you will not be able to avoid it in any way, because, you belong to me." He said cunningly.

'way to pull the master-slave card.'

"..."

"Patience dear Vanessa, all will be explained when we reach the duchy. Everything needs to go as planned, and if you are who I assume you are, this will benefit you tremendously." He smiled. "But tell me, if you could do anything, go anywhere, achieve anything what would it be?" he asked as he leaned closer.

Want anything? If there is anything I would want it would be for the nightmares to stop, to turn back time, to see them again.

"I don't understand what you want to hear your grace." I stated as my eyes searched his for some kind of hint.

"Vanessa dearest wouldn't a little bit of revenge suffice?" he asked making my eyes widen. "There is no need to be so surprise. I had lived with a blood witch for years of my life, now, now no need to be scared, I'm on your side." He said as he moved away, sitting against the seat of the carriage, his eyes diverting their attention back outside.

My heart thumped in my chest. He knew. He actually knew. Is that why he bid on me? Was there something he wanted?

The carriage ride continued in silence. It felt as though the thumping of my heart against my chest was echoing throughout the hollow space, as though he could hear it. But I knew that wasn't it. It only rang in my ears.

Sighing I leaned back in my seat, closing my yes for a brief second, the sudden jolt in the carriage provoked the pain in my still pained leg. Wincing quietly in pain, I let my had fall back slightly.

Revenge.

What a sweet and alluring, yet destructive word.

We rode for a couple more hours as the dusk began to settle in. reaching the wide estate of the duke of Azkalev, I stepped out of the carriage limping on my foot following behind Conrad. Looking at his estate, it could be seen that he stood at a high ranking of dukedom. I had never served a master higher than a Count, so conducting myself appropriately was out of question.

We walked through the front entrance, my leg giving out under me, from all the pain that had been piling up. Conrad turned around, muttering something under his breath.

"I forgot about your foot." He said rushing towards me. He knelt beside me, picking me up with ease.

"Y-your excellency...!" I said in shock.

"We wouldn't want your blood dropping and becoming difficult to control."

I could not understand what he meant. Out of control? I did not have such power if that was what he was looking for. From what I had heard a long time ago, my blood was diluted so I could not really be classified a pure-breed blood witch.

Walking into the estate and up the stairs towards the room, which could be seen as his office, he placed me down gently on the couch.

"Reynold, bring something to bandage and clean the wound of the Miss." He ushered his steward.

The steward, Reynold, simply looked at me for a moment attending to his master's request. Minutes later, he had brought in some mixture along with some bandages, handing it to Conrad.

"Leave us." Conrad said as Reynold bowed leaving the office, closing the door behind him.

The ticking of the clock hung up on the wall was the only sound that resonated throughout the office. The mixture stung as it was placed on the opened wound. Conrad carefully bandaged my leg, clearing the small mess he had made, putting the items aside.

"Well Vanessa, it seems your mind is bubbling with questions, but sadly I cannot answer some of them." He said with an empty smile coveting his face. "But you are still free to ask." He said.

"Well your excellency, it seems that your purpose of buying me goes beyond the idea of simply serving you. May I ask why you have bought me?" I questioned, choosing my words with care.

If anything, I still wanted...no, needed to live. I have managed to survive this long, and I will manage to survive longer. But Conrad's intentions needed to be clear.

"You don't seem to miss anything. Yes, I had bought you for a reason beyond a simple master and slave relationship. I have one task for you Vanessa, and you cannot be mistaken in carrying out this task." His entire demeanor darkened as his lips iterated the words.

"A task? Does this have to do with the revenge you mentioned?" I asked, my eyes staring straight into his.

"Yes."

"May I ask who?"

The moment the words he uttered after reached my ears, I could not help but freeze and feel my body run cold.

"Sebastian Anthony de la Rune. King of Grimlock"

*

OH MY...! whatis going on? What does conrad have planned? and what is Vanessa going to do? let me know your thoughts!

Don't forget to comment and vote for the chapter!

-Rama