16

CHAPTER SIXTEEN:  MOMMY DEAREST.

" I wanna know, why you lied, i wanna know / why was i lied to. "

____

NARRATOR

Jace walks through the institute, gaining a few looks from everyone — Rumors spread fast, everyone already knew about his relationship with Arabelle. And almost everyone found it weird.

"Jace?." Isabelle calls out Jace, he turns his back to Isabelle and she gulps down. "Mom wants to talk to you." She informs and Jace huffs. His heavy black boots making their way to the room to the director of the institute was.

Jace sighs, before knocking on the door and without expecting any response, he walks in – Maryse is sitting on her desk wearing the tight dress so characteristic of her.

"Jace." She says 'greeting' him.

"You wanted to see me?." He doesn't greet back, he knows why was he here. He was only expecting her to tell him 'stay away from Arabelle'.

"Indeed, Jace. I wanted to see you." She makes a pause and stands up – Making her way to the other side of the desk. "I have been just informed that you and Arabelle are in..." She gulps down, Jace's jaw clenches. "In a romantic relationship."

"We are." Jace confirms and Maryse closes her eyes briefly before shaking her head.

"You know that can't be, Jace. You and her – That can't happen, whatever is going on between you and her-."

"I'm assuming this isn't because of your motherly link with Arabelle, why can't i be with her?." Jace interrupts, he stands straight, crossing his arms over his chest.

Maryse sighs. "It's better if you don't know why-."

Jace's anger grows. "I have every right to know why! For the angel! I'm in love with her-."

"Jace don't say that!." Maryse shouts. "You barely know who she really is!."

Jace raises an eyebrow in confusion. "I've known her all of her life, i grew up with her – How can you say that I don't know who she is?." Jace states, stepping closer to Maryse.

"Jace..."

"Tell me what you know, i need to know."

But a silence takes over the room, Maryse looking down at the ground.

"Today's accident, was it really an accident?." Jace asks, hoping to get a straight 'NO', he was feeling uneasy. The fact that now the Institute and only home he has was now lying to him makes him feel....

"What makes you think that?." Marcuse says, not looking at him in the eye.

"You were not worried when Alec told you that Belle was at the nursery." Jace keeps on pushing and Maryse shakes her head.

"Belle is strong, i knew that whatever happened you guys could fix it."

"But you're her mother, the women that welcomed her with open arms after she had spent five years on that Idris orphanage. You, trusted us with your daughters life?." Jace asks in disbelief and Maryse clicks her tongue.