0.5

As much as I loved Brooke, she was awful at giving advice. We decided to have a sleepover tonight, because of our lack of time spent together since this school year has started and I had been trying to talk to her about Ashton for the past hour and a half. To put it nicely, she was no help at all. She compared everything I said to her to something that had to do with her relationship with Luke, as if Ashton and I were similar.

"He's so annoying, like, I told him straight up that I want to get to know him and he totally shut me out. Does he want to spend the rest if his life alone?" I complained. I paced back and forth in my room as Brooke laid out on my bed, flipping through a magazine she had found on her way in the house.

"Maybe he's shy. Luke was shy when I first met him." Brooke shrugged.

"He's not shy, Brooke." I said, letting out a groan.

"Maybe he's not ready to get another girlfriend yet. I mean, didn't he accidentally kill his last one?" Brooke chuckled lightly.

"I haven't gotten around to asking him about that yet, actually, so I'm not sure." I sighed.

I had honestly meant to ask Ashton about the car accident earlier today, but he wasn't having it. I had a plan to ease into it, instead of coming straight out and deciding to ask about his dead - ex? - girlfriend. Ashton completely ignored me as if I wasn't even there, smoking away without a care in the world.

"Come on, Dani. Try harder! I want to know what happened!" Brooke said enthusiastically. She was such a sucker for drama, I bet she was hoping that Ashton actually murdered his girlfriend, and the car accident was all just a big cover up. She would just eat that story up.

"I'm working on it!" I stopped pacing for a moment to face her. "I want to become friends with him before I decide to dig into his personal life."

"You like him, don't you?" Brooke smiled. She rolled over and lifted her arms above her head, tying her long hair up into a perfect bun.

"What? No. I've barely known him for a month! I'm just curious, that's all." I lied, me being curious was not all there was when talking about Ashton. He definitely had a strong affect on me even though half the time he didn't want anything to do with me. It sucked, because I was completely infatuated with this boy and he wasn't throwing himself at me like I was used to.

"You've got to be kidding me. He's completely taken over your life! You never want to talk about anything but him! You've got it so bad, Dani." Brooke laughed.

"He has not taken over my life! I just want to be his friend, can't I be friends with a boy and not have you question me?" I huffed, letting myself fall back onto the bed with Brooke.

She snorted. "You can't be telling me that you want to stay just friends with a guy like that. Have you seen him? He's gorgeous."

"Hey, you have a boyfriend." I warned Brooke, even though her cheating on Luke was totally out of the question. They were in love, and everyone knew it. The chances of either one of them finding someone else was impossibly slim, they were perfect for each other.

"I bet even Luke would turn gay for Ashton." Brooke said, a serious tone to her voice.

"Brooke!" I erupted into laughter, not being able to handle the thought of Luke having a little crush on Ashton.

"Shh, did you hear that?" Brooke clapped her hand over my mouth to silence me.

I pried her hand off of my mouth and stood up, walking closer to the window that was propped open just a crack. I heard a rustling down below us. There was definitely something there, but it was probably nothing major, maybe a bunny or a cat. I didn't want to freak Brooke out even more, so I lied to her.