FOUR: GHOSTS

Media: What Hurts The Most – Rascal Flatts

Coe's POV

I stared at my shoes, annoyed.

I should have worn my rain boots.

Stupid.

My socks and leather shoes felt cold and moist. I hated using the word 'moist' as much as I hated feeling it. Even with the time I had spent trying to dry it in the men's room with the hand dryer, it was still damp. I hated the feeling and resisted the urge to wiggle my toes. The less I move, the less I feel the disgusting feeling of my feet being soaked in rain water. My toes were probably raisins and they were going to be raisins for a long time more.

I checked my watch, my heart skipping a beat excitedly when I see that it was about time that Jared would reach. My best friend was always good at being on time, and in Jared's definition, being on time means being at least five minutes earlier than the agreed time. I liked that in a man. God, I liked that man.

I pretended to massage my temples to hide the blush and smile on my face from passersby. I wonder how long more will my one-sided crush last for. You'd think that in the nine years my feelings would have falter at some point, but every time I think I've gotten over Jared and fallen for someone else, he'll barge right back into my heart demanding for attention.

I sighed loudly and my sense of hearing perked when I heard the familiar sound of the car engine that I was used to hear. Before I could even help it, I was already smiling even though I couldn't see through the tinted windows into the car. Just the thought of seeing Jared made me step towards the car rather quickly.

My feet tapped against the wet ground, droplets of water hitting my ankles and the hem of my pants. I ignored the sensation quite easily as I saw Heath exited the car and walk over to the other side of the car. I reached him in no time, flashing Heath a grin before I bowed my head and entered the car through the door he had opened for me.

"Did you wait long?" Jared asked as I climbed into the car.

He was still dressed immaculately despite going working through the entire gloomy day, and that made me feel a little more miserable about myself. I resisted the urge to throw myself at Jared and give him a long hug for comfort. Gloomy days always made me feel a little more needy and clingy than usual. There's some scientific explanation for this, I'm sure.

But instead of giving into my urges, I chose to slump into the seat beside him, biting my lip to stop my foolish grin from blinding my best friend, "Nope." I shrugged, "I just came down about three minutes ago."

Jared nodded noncommittally, before he glanced down at my shoes, frowning, "I thought you would wear your boots." He commented, "Don't you hate the feeling of water in your shoes?" He folded the document that he was reading into a file.

My heart swelled at the fact that he actually remembered.

"I didn't think to wear them." I lied, smoothening out my clothes to look half as put together as he was, "Which is why I had possibly the worst day of the year so far. I had to waddle around in these soggy things since lunch." I scrunched up my nose distastefully, "It was incredibly depressing."

Jared chuckled as he ruffled my hair. The action making me freeze since it was not very common for Jared to initiate physical contact with me. Perhaps gloomy days made him needy for affection too. I shook my head to clear my thoughts. Not possible. I would have noticed it and used it to my advantage years ago.