Chapter Seventeen

The mid morning weekend traffic wasn't as horrible as I had expected. Helen had left before I even showered and had something to eat. On the bright side I got to drive. Brett was hanging out at the house with Adam when I left and I was more than happy I didn't have to spend the day with those morons.

Phoebe's car was in the parking lot that was over crowded with people and vehicles. I scowled at how horrible I looked in the mirror, baggy eyes and sleep deprived. I looked like something out of The Walking Dead or worst one of those white walkers. I scoffed and exited the Beetle.

The hoodie I was wearing wasn't hiding me the way I wanted it to. To top it off, I was even grouchier than usual from the lack of proper rest. I was kept awake most of the night because of the neighbour's son, and the hour long excessive moans, shrieks and giggles coming from his room. I spent the better part of the night scolding him. He could have at least gagged whoever she was or something, but no he had to let the whole street know what he was up to. When I couldn't take it any longer I got out of bed and staggered over to my bedroom window. Grumpy and fuming, I peered through the curtains and the idiot didn't even have his window closed. I wished his parents had used that room for something else, anything else would have been better. Until the wee hours of the morning I was up listening to music and was deep in slumber when Helen came to my room to wake me. I had absolutely no memory of what our conversation was about since I was barely awake and I hardly want to think about what I may have said to her then.

I left the parking lot and headed slowly to the floral shop. The displays were already out and I moved zombie like with my satchel flung over my shoulder. Phoebe was the first person I saw when I entered, and she had the biggest grin from ear to ear. How can anyone possibly be happy twenty four seven? It must be exhausting.

"Hey," she calls spiritedly.

Her brown curls were held back in a ponytail exposing the multiple piercings along her earlobes. She had on a cropped tee with skinny jeans and ballet flats and looked well rested and glowing.

"Hey," I mumble.

"Just spent the last hour making up bouquets," she beams.

"And you're happy because?"

"Because..." she grins, "love is in the air."

"Congrats," I mutter gloomily.

"Would it kill you to be happy about something for once?" She asks pouting.

"I am happy," I respond, "I just have the same expression for everything."

Phoebe rolled her eyes and I went and got rid of the satchel. The only customer was an elderly woman who was already being attended to when I returned.

"So will I get to meet this friend of yours?" Phoebe coos.

"Only if you introduce me to whoever has been making you blush all morning."

Her face flushed pink and she looked away embarrassedly then grinned.

"We're not dating, not yet anyways," she replies, "What about you?"

"What about me?"

"You know that guy you were talking to last time," she grins, "the both of you would make a cute couple."

All the blood drained from my face and Phoebe stared at me grinning.
She had to be kidding me. Did she even hear herself?

"Are you okay?" Phoebe queries looking a bit scared.

I didn't reply. My teeth were stuck together and I couldn't find the strength to pry them apart.

"Oh my god Secret you look like a corpse," she shrieks.