Chapter 47

I took the railings on each side of me as I ascended up the stairs carefully and entered the private jet. The interior design was flawless, white leather seats with creme linen lining and plush white velvet pillows with beige seat belts to match. If I had a say in the decor, I personally wouldn't change a thing. Selecting the middle row, I took a seat in a lone chair with a window view shortly after Iain sat across from me.

"Sooo.." Iain said expectantly, unbuttoning his suit jacket. I repeated him, wondering what he meant.
"Sooo....."

"How do you like it? My father designed this jet himself years ago. Only the finest is used to decorate and build these beauties."

I nodded my head, looking around once again to admire the savvy detailed work. The windows were square instead of oval, providing more framework along them like mahogany lines to be carved around the corners and the shades to fit perfectly. They were oak brown and complimented the tan walls so well. Above the window I'm below were the words
Pliegue Industries Inc. In bold black italicized.
Everything had a homey but posh rich feel to it.

"I love it. I see the effort, it's perfect."

Nodding and smiling briefly, Iain looked out his window.

The pilot then came on the intercom.
15 minutes until take off, buckle in your seat belts and enjoy the flight.

Never have I ever been one to have a fear of heights but that doesn't mean I'm not extremely nervous. I haven't been on a plane in years and it's a little nerve-wracking. I think it's starting to show.

"Aaliyah, are you alright?" Iain glanced at me worriedly.

"Oh yes, yup. Yeah. I'm alright, just a little nervous." I hurriedly buckled my seat belt and exhaled shakily.

"Don't think about it, you'll forget you're even in the air."

I rolled my eyes.
"Easier said than done Iain."

"Okay let's talk then, to take your mind off it. We have a couple of hours anyway."

I sat up straighter, suddenly intrigued for meaningful conversation. Out of all the things I dislike, I dislike pointless conversation most.
"Okay, I definitely have something that's been picking at me...for awhile now. Why'd you do it?",

Iain looked at me with furry brows scrunched together. "What do you mean?" He asked. "Why'd you do it?" I repeated. "Why did you do the drugs?"

I saw the shock in his face, I know I caught him off guard but that's what I wanted. He didn't get time to rehearse a premeditated answer, I needed honesty as much as clarity. I wanted him to give me both.

Iain cleared his throat and loosened his shirt. Obviously nervous.
"Well... It's complicated. With work, and....my condition I just needed something to take off the load. It was an impulsive decision, one I regret. Never take advice from a lawyer.", After explaining he laughed light heartedly most likely to make me ease up but I didn't think it was funny in the slightest.

"Why lawyers?" I questioned, kind of confused.

"My best friend since college, Dan is a lawyer. I don't think you two have met yet."

I nodded bitterly, the pieces fitting together. The irony.

Iain clasped his hands together loudly and stared inquisitively as if he was about to unmask the juicest gossip.
"My turn since we're asking questions hm?"

I laughed sarcastically. "Well alright then."

"What do you look forward to regarding our future together? Do you see a future in me?"

I raised an eyebrow. I didn't know whether he was testing me or genuinely wanted to know where we stand.

"Well...you know I love you Iain, and I do see us together in the future.",

"That's vague."

I scoffed.
"It's not vague, I answered your question."

"Vaguely, yes. Let me rephrase. Do you see us having children? Growing old? Married even??"

I leaned back in my seat slightly, surprised.
"Growing old? Children?", I said "I do want kids but I don't see that far honestly. All I know is...I love you and that should be enough right?"

Iain shifted in his seat and looked like he was trying his best to restrain himself. I'm waiting for something rude to float out, I'm ready for it.

"So....nothing long term?" Wow, answering my question with a question what an achievement for him.

"Right." I confirmed.

"Yet we're getting married...." He drifted off.

I waved my first finger side to side.
"Nah nah, supposedly. That's pending remember."

Iain scoffed.
"Yeah I remembered a lot in the limo."

I shook my head and opened my mouth a little. My next words, hesitant.
"Now that...is not fair."

I saw the mock in his face.

"What?! Not fair? You know what's not fair? You playing games."

0 to 100.

"Huh?! Me?! Iain I'm pretty sure this whole thing was created for your fun, your games. Don't you try and switch it around."

Real quick.

"But you know what Aaliyah??" I watched him intently as he unbuckled his seat belt and leaned forward. "You agreed to those games didn't you so stop playing the victim for 2 fucking seconds and be serious with me. Do you want me....now, tomorrow and after..as your friend, your husband and business partner. Do you want me? No games..because I need you so be honest with me."

I sighed, exasperated and frustrated. I admit to myself...I lied. I would want nothing more than to say "I do" and have this man's babies. I see it so vividly in my mind and I imagine how our kids would look and how we would look, older and more in love but....

Unbuckling my seat belt I got up and walked quickly to the bathroom, I heard Iain get up as well so I tried to hurry and get away.....apparently I didn't try good enough because I never reached my destination.

"No, no more running." He pulled me down on the love seat next to us and held both of my arms so I couldn't get up.

"What are you afraid of? Why do you keep running?"

I stayed silent.

"I'm tired of these excuses and you dodging this like the plague. Aaliyah...why are you scared of this, what are you afraid of?!"

"I don't know!"

I faced him now, staring into those blue eyes I remained firm.

"I don't know okay? I don't know."

Iain let go of me and laid back against the love seat, eyes closed.

"I promise Aaliyah, I won't ever hurt you again. I don't even want to ever lose you again....just please."

I glances at him briefly before I sucked in my lips, contemplating what I should do. Listen to my treacherous heart? Or wise mind? Sometimes I really wish I didn't have ears, this sentimental organ talks too loudly.

"I have been difficult since the accident....and I'm sorry. To be completely honest with you Iain.. I need time. Not too much either but...some."

Iain stood up and looked down at me. Shaking his head in an approving motion he went back to his seat and laid back. He looked anything BUT approving of what I just told him and the way he reacted only made me sway more to my pending decision. I love the new man he's becoming but there's just a block in my way...like I'm stuck in quick sand but I'm not sinking just staying where I am and wishing I would hit the bottom already.

After everything we've been through in our short time together....I just want some assurance this will last. It's like all the stages have been rushed, what if we get married and there's nothing left to explore? No more puppy love....
Wow this hit me hard. At the worst possible time, what the hell did that coma do to me?
Damn you reality.