Chapter Nine

ANAIS

"Anais, ano'ng oras na?" I could hear Mom's voice outside my room

"Anais, ano'ng oras na?" I could hear Mom's voice outside my room. I covered my face with a pillow and tried to ignore the banging on my door. "You're going to be late for school! Malalate na kami ng Daddy mo at ng kapatid mo! Hurry!"

"Yeah, yeah..." I muttered.

"Are you still in bed, Anais?" Mom screamed like a banshee. "Are you seriously—God! You're so difficult! I'm going into your room!"

After a few minutes the door to my room opened. I heard Mom's heavy footsteps walking nearer to my bed. My limbs and eyes felt so heavy. I didn't think I could even lift a finger. I just wanted to stay in bed all day. Just sleep the day away.

"Anais!" Mom snatched the pillow over my head. "Get up!"

"I don't feel good." I mumured.

She felt my forehead and then my neck with the back of her hand. "Wala ka naman sakit. Nagpuyat ka na naman ba kagabi?"

"Can I skip school today?"

"Hindi! Anais, tumayo ka na diyan! Take a shower so we can all leave!" She firmly said.

"Mooooom..." I whined.

"You're going to go to school whether you like it or not! Do you want me to get your Dad so he can carry you to the shower?" There was warning in her voice.

Padabog na tumayo ako sa kama at pumunta sa banyo. I took a shower and that somehow, lifted my mood a bit. Mom was telling me to hurry up even when I was in the shower. It took me less than ten minutes to finish. I dried myself and grabbed some clothes, a simple pair of jeans and a white cami top and a black jacket to match. I didn't feel like dressing up in a cute outfit or even putting powder on my face. I just felt awful.

"Anais, hurry!" Mom said as I walked down the stairs.

"I haven't had my breakfast..." I frowned, feeling my stomach clench in hunger.

"Malalate na ang kapatid mo. Ito na lang ang kainin mo." Dad handed me two pieces of toasted bread in a tissue paper and a small carton of chocolate milk.

I looked at Bryce and she stuck her little tongue out at me. Usually, pinapatulan ko ang pagka-brat ng batang ito but this time I didn't feel annoyed at all. I just smiled at her. 

Mom grabbed Bryce's hand and they went to the garage. Dad and I followed behind them while I ate the toasts that he gave.

"You should've atleast added some butter." I complained.

"If you want a decent breakfast, you should've woken up earlier." Dad retorded.

I sighed tiredly. Dad slipped into the car, Mom sat next to the driver's seat and Bryce and I climbed into the backseat. Dad pressed a button in his car and the garage door lifted up. Pinaandar na ni Daddy ang kotse palabas.