Part 23

Word count: 3375
___________________________________

I was very on edge the next day, I didn't even tell Becca about what happened last night while she was showering. I tried to conceal it while she was getting ready for bed, acting nonchalant and discussing plans for Thanksgiving Break.

I couldn't even sleep. I felt like I had to tell Harry, but I was afraid of what he would do -- especially if he knew it was Zayn who tried to pursue me. If Louis hadn't been there, who knows what would've happened?

I eventually closed my eyes and got some rest. The day dragged on for what seemed like ages before I could finally get back to my dorm and relax. I hadn't spoken to Harry since the phone call yesterday. I couldn't bring myself to dial his number.

I jumped when my phone vibrated on the table, quickly looking around to see if anyone had noticed. I checked the message, and saw that Becca had texted me.

From: Becca
Hey, Louis told me about what happened last night with Zayn. I'm so sorry I kept pushing you guys to be together. I didn't know he'd turn out to be such a dîck.

I sighed and turned my phone to silent, texting her back quickly before returning to my laptop. I couldn't exactly blame Becca for Zayn's behavior, she really had nothing to apologize about. Sure, I hated that she tried to get us together, but she had good intentions with it.

I tried focusing on the assignment in front of me, analyzing a play script and answering a few questions. I looked up momentarily and I noticed Layla across the room, sitting down at a single table as she was on the phone. At this hour, the library was pretty hectic so loud noises weren't uncommon, and this was the busier part of the building so more noise was allowed than other areas.

She looked very distraught, and I really wanted to know what was going on. I sank lower in my seat to make it seem like I was looking at my laptop, but I still had my eyes on her.

Another girl soon joined her a little while after she hung up the phone. I assumed that was who she was on the phone with. They conversed for a little bit but Layla still seemed upset over something. I wondered if it was about Zayn, but surely it could be something else?

I decided to close my laptop and leave the library. Whatever Layla was upset about didn't involve me and I didn't want anyone to catch me watching her.

Of course, Zayn walks into the door I was going  to exit through, causing me to panic and quickly turn around before he notices me. As I'm walking to the other exit, Sadie approaches me and catches me off guard.

"Hey, I've been looking for you," she said, and I frowned in confusion.

"Um, sorry, I've been a little busy today." I lied, looking over my shoulder. Zayn was talking to someone and hadn't seen me yet, so I was still in the clear. "Listen, uh, I really have to go."

"Really?" She sighed. "This is the only time I have to talk today, can we sit for a bit?"

I shook my head, starting to get anxious because I really just wanted to get out of here. "Sadie, really, I need to go." I started to walk away, but she caught up to me.

"Seriously, Jill, please don't avoid me. I know you're mad at what I said but I didn't intend to be mean or anything --,"

"I know." I said, rather loudly and I felt my face redden as a few people turned to look at me, including Zayn. I shook my head and said, "I've got to go, I'll see you later."

I quickly left the building, praying that neither Zayn or Sadie would follow. I felt my heart racing at the thought of him being near me again. It scared me to be alone, so vulnerable.