Chapter 16: Aftershocks

Song: Young God, Halsey

So today is my birthday 🎉☺️ and I felt like posting the chapter for this week early since I missed it last week. This one is a little shorter than usual, but I think it's pretty insightful.

The picture is my poor scared bby Adrian 😣 he just needs some werewolf loving to turn that frown around.

Don't forget to comment or vote!

~HarleyVB 🎉🍰🍑

Adrian's POV

I woke up drenched in sweat, my body shaking from the cold, though I was still somehow hot at the same time. Before I could even attempt to get up, Danny was beside me, forcing the pointy end of a thermometer into my mouth.

"101.6," he said with a hum, removing the stick and placing his hand over my forehead. "I think that's high. I'm not really the doctor here though."

I have a fever?

Danny was watching me with wide alert eyes, tissues stuffed in one hand while the other grasped a large bag of unopened cough drops. He was like a poorly trained nurse, ready to jump into action and inevitably get in the way of things.

"W-What happened?" I asked, sniffing loudly and accepting a tissue from the blond. "Shouldn't I be d-dead right now?"

The question seemed to stir something in Danny, tears pooling in his eyes as he attacked me with hugs. I regretted saying anything about it. Though I would have usually enjoyed the affection, he was starting to squeeze the small amount of air out of my lungs.

"I'm so glad you're alright." he whispered against my shoulder, tears dripping onto my fresh shirt.

I sighed and leaned against his small frame, smiling when he loosened his hold and made it more comfortable for me. Danny broke the hug to look at me, his eyes holding worry as he once again pressed his hand to my face to check how hot it was. My skin felt incredibly flushed, well more than usual, and I could feel a deep pounding in my temples whenever I moved around too much.

"Do you mind getting me some water?" I asked, my throat feeling dry as I let out a few strained coughs. "It might help with my headache."

He nodded his head and left the guest room, the empty space getting silent once he departed. I took the opportunity of him being absent to search the room for some spare blankets. My legs wobbled weakly as I struggled to keep myself from falling to the ground while I looked through different areas to find some. I smiled triumphantly when I found a thick pile of light blue fluffy blankets stacked up in the spare closet.

Carefully laying back down on the bed, I draped myself in the thick blankets and ignored the sharp pains in my legs from moving so much. I couldn't remember the last time I had been so sick. Either I was lucky or just really good at keeping myself sanitary, because I'd only managed to get a few colds and minor sicknesses throughout my childhood and young adult life.