22 . Fools in love or lust?

Fools in love or lust?

Ionora's POV :

My wolf had been running for about ten minutes now and she showed no signs of stopping anytime soon. At least that's what I thought until we were finally near the outskirts of the pack and she slowed down to a stop. She strayed away from the trail and walked behind a tree.

Shift now.
She commanded. I roll my eyes at her.

I thought you were searching for your 'mate'. But I don't see or sense him anywhere near.
I told my wolf mockingly.

I am. But there is a barrier around here preventing me from entering. I don't think we can enter in our wolf forms. I can sense mate on the other side of the barrier.
She told me briskly, not liking my offhandedness about her mate.

This clearly reeks of a trap. Please tell me you are wise enough not to walk right into it.

But mate might be in danger.
She growled in anger at the thought.

I'm pretty sure he is old enough to take care of himself.
I scoffed.

He is hurt you idiot. Don't you feel his pain. They have used silver against him and you know how that ends.
She snapped.

So you're going to make me go in there when you know we might not come out alive?

It went silent for a moment and then,

Yes?

I mentally facepalmed. This stupid wolf was willing to risk her life and mine for a jerk who wanted to reject us for no fault of ours. Guess this is what happens when your wolf was a horny animal desperate for a man.

Liane growled viciously at the insult.
Shift NOW!
She barked which made me roll my eyes and shift back, putting on the shirt and shorts I found in the hollow of one of the trees.

Now what?
I grumbled, not pleased with her commands but I couldn't blame her. The mate bond was something which was hell bent on forcing two souls together. Wolves couldn't control the intensity of the pull, not as much as their skin sides at least.

Now we cross the barrier and wait for mate pull to take us to mate. And keep your senses on high alert.

I do as she says and walk towards the invisible barrier Liane told me about. I could hear a low humming from the barrier which sounded like electricity which made me send out a small prayer to the goddess that we wouldn't be zapped.

Taking slow cautious steps, I stepped closer to the humming which only increased with every step I took. Then I just made a mad dash towards it and didn't stop until I was sure I had left it behind.

The barrier crumpled as soon as I touched it and it dispersed into an array of colours. My veins throbbed and skin tingled as the colours dropped on me and then disappeared without a trace. Something felt different within me, almost like a dormant part of me had been awakened. A part which I never knew existed.

"What the hell was that? " I whispered to myself, too awed to say anything else. I could still feel the surge of power in me, filling each cell. It was like the first sip of coffee after a sleepless night.

Witchcraft

Liane informed me. She too seemed to unable to keep the shock out of her voice.