Boo

I sat back in my chair and Mia sat down across from me.

"Do you want to talk about it?" she asked softly.

I shook my head. Talking wouldn't change anything and I was emotionally done for the day.

"Kane! Get back in here," I yelled.

He came back and leaned in the door way, raising an eyebrow in question.

"Alright wolf boy, give me a sniff."

I spread my arms expectantly. I was tired of this damn tea and it was only my second cup. Kane fought an amused grin as he walked toward me. He place one hand on the back of my chair and the other he placed on the table, effectively trapping me.

I swallowed as he looked down at me intently. This had been a bad idea. I held my breath as he slowly bent toward me. He moved his hand from the back of my chair to grasp my chin and tilted my head to the side. I was frozen, too drained to protest. His nose skimmed the side of my neck and my lungs released the breath I had been holding in a sigh. He inhaled deeply, his fingers gently keeping my chin trapped. I fought goosebumps as he exhaled, his breath ghosting across the sensitive skin of my neck.

"Drink another cup," he said gruffly as he pulled back.

"Wow, what was that?" Mia asked after Kane had left.

"That was your brother and his weird wolf hormones being in overdrive."

"I know he's my brother, and I already regret saying this, but that was hot."

"Mia, no. Just, no. Everything about this is a hell no. I have a boyfriend, he is a psychopath."

Mia laughed at the look on my face and dropped the subject thankfully.

"Okay, well how about the grand tour?"

Why not? I stood with Mia and we started back toward the living room. Again I wondered at the homey feel of this house. Everything felt well loved and lived in. We went through the many upstairs halls passing numerous bedrooms. We were walking by one open door when I caught Sierra's scent. I paused and peeked inside.

It looked like a tornado had come through. There were frilly underwear and sequined clothing everywhere. Makeup was scattered across every available surface. Hair products and nail polish littered the floor.

"Could she be any more cliche?"

Mia chuckled and glanced at the mess.

"Sierra has always been a bit of a princess. Probably one of the reasons Kane isn't interested. Could you imagine that mess in his room?"

I imagined Sierra's closet throwing up in Kane's neat bedroom. His bookshelves cluttered with her makeup. His bathroom filled with her lacy underthings. Let's not.

Mia led me down another set of stairs to a separate wing of the house. She pushed open a set of wooden double doors and I gasped. Floor to ceiling bookshelves filled the room, and every inch of space on the bookshelves was filled with volume after volume. I walked into my personal paradise and turned to Mia.

"Holy shit!"

"I'm glad you like this room, maybe someone besides Kane will come in here now," Mia said with a chuckle.

While Kane didn't seem intelligent enough in my personal opinion to be a reader I was too distracted by all the books to reply. There was a fireplace and a sofa in one corner I noticed belatedly, and a side table stacked with books filled with bookmarks.

"Please do not tell me he reads more than one book at a time," I said glancing over at Mia.

She shrugged in reply. Figured. I didn't know how someone could properly love a book if they were reading four or five others at the same time. Just like a man to cheat. I ran my fingers over some spines of the books closest to me. They didn't seem to be in any sort of order. I was looking at a copy of Pride and Prejudice right beside Eragon.