The Full Moon

Chapter One (Zaid's POV)

Hi, my name is Zaid Kallas and I have a secret.

Sssh, don't tell anyone. If anyone, even the members of my own pack found out, I would be killed for sure. Just telling you is dangerous, but I can trust you. I know you'll never find my pack, never find me for that matter.

My secret? I'm in love with a male. Problem? I'm also a male. Bigger problem? I'm the son of an alpha wolf. Biggest problem? The male I'm in love with is part of our rival pack, Blood Rain.

You see my dilemma?

I've hidden this secret as long as I can remember. I've always known I held no interest in she-wolves. They were callous to me, cruel, and very unusual. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on them. I just preferred males over them. It doesn't help that I was turning eighteen in just a few weeks, the night of a full moon.

The night I was supposed to mate and become the next leader of our pack.

And after all the hiding and lying I did to keep my secret safe, it was now in danger of being revealed to everyone. Not just my pack, but the other packs would soon find out. That was one problem about packs. They spread gossip faster than humans, and chickens, combined.

What was I going to do?

"Zaid, stop lounging around and do something." I snapped out of my thoughts, sitting up straight on the bench that sat on the wooden porch of my family's home. It was a large plantation house deep in the woods of Moonstone, our small town. I brushed the dark hair out of my face as I rose to my feet, watching my mother walk out the front door.

My mother wasn't your stereotypical housewife. Hell no, call her that and you'll sorely regret it.

My mother dressed in a black leather biker jacket, matching her tight leather pants and the halter top she wore underneath. Her black attire matched her long, flowing hair that was currently braided down her back, her bangs brushed back to reveal her bright blue eyes.

"I'm not lounging," I responded dully, hooking a thumb into the pocket of my black jeans, "I'm thinking."

"You think too much," She chided, "Start doing. We need more food for the pups. They're whimpering and whining. Go into town and grab us some supplies." She withdrew a list of supplies from her jacket pocket, handing it to me.

I sighed and took it, turning around and heading for my room to grab my jacket.

I know, I'm an adult. I have responsibilities, but sometimes I wondered if they were just going to knock me into the omega position. The thought made me grimace as I paused outside our large living room. Four of the packs pups were rolling around and yipping at each other playfully.

Four pups that wouldn't know how to turn fully into humans until they reached puberty. We had to keep a close watch over them. They were way too curious and rambunctious.

Thankfully, we had one loyal omega.

He was a buff guy with a shaved head, biker tattoos covering his arms and a snake tattoo creeping up around his throat like a collar, signifying his loyalty and position. His name was Breece. He was a tough son of a bitch and was a no bullshit sorta guy, most of the time. Seeing him tend to the little ones was a shocker as he was very gentle and patient with them.

With everyone else, he treated us like insects. It was probably the fact that he didn't want to be the omega, but he had challenged my father and lost. That was the punishment, for one who almost beat him.

If you didn't put up a good enough fight, you were slaughtered and left for the other packs to feast upon.

I grimaced, hurrying up to my room and grabbing the leather jacket my dad had bought me on the thirteenth birthday. I threw it on, heading down the stairs and outside again. I heard my uncle, Lars, hacking at the firewood around back. The smell of dinner wavered from the kitchen, tickling my nostrils. The sun was dipping low behind the trees, casting eerie shadows across the bright green grass.