Chapter 23

I wake up to someone standing against the door. My instincts are off so I end up tumbling out of the bed and onto my face rather than leap out in a defensive position. 

"Who are you?" I clumsily get into a defensive position. The guy wears the same uniform I've seen everyone else has been wearing. 

"I'm Ben." He introduces himself with a smirk. Seeing that smirk,  I find myself thinking that I don't like this guy. There's something in those mischievous chocolate eyes of his that makes me distrust him instantly. His brown curls bounce as he turns around and says, "Get ready in five. I'll outside." 

"Ready for what?" I ask but he's already outside. I don't like this. Quickly, I put on the fitted black long sleeve and stretchy pants. I look at myself in the mirror; I almost look normal. My bruises and cuts are fading away to a lighter shade. 

I step outside, a little surprised at how easy the door slides open. Perhaps Ben unlocked it beforehand. Ben cocks his head to tell me to follow him.

"Where are we going?" I ask. I gaze at his lean frame. He isn't as bulky as other guys I have seen, but he walks confidently with power. I know he's stronger than he looks. 

"You like what you see?" He winks. 

I am about to say something witty back but we have already reached the training arena I saw yesterday. This time, there are almost thirty young adults standing in five rows of six. There is a divide in the middle as the group is separated by gender. I see Amber standing in the front row next to a missing spot. Ben leaves me standing their awkwardly as he takes that spot next to Amber. 

I squirm a little under the weight of everyone's gaze. Curious but also disinterested eyes dissect me. 

"This is Jax." Barsetti comes from nowhere and rests his hand on my shoulder. I try not to glare at his hand. I really want to drop kick him where the sun doesn't shy, but that means "goodbye Jax's head." Then, he leaves. 

Ben comes back to the front. "Let's start." Everyone breaks from formation and go their own way. I don't really know what I'm supposed to do. I just observe until Ben slings his arm around my shoulder and nudges to some direction.

"You're one of us..." he states, "for now." He adds as a second thought. I wonder if he knows about the bomb in my head, or if he has a bomb in his head. 

"What do you guys even do?" I wonder. 

"That's not what you should be asking. Rather, don't ask questions. You do what Ben and I say and you'll keep that pretty little head of yours." Amber comes next to me. She glares at Ben for a second before continuing, "There's four leaders. You've met two." 

"Actually, there are three now." Ben corrects her. 

"Whatever." Amber glares once again before saying, "You're no one special, so don't act like you are. Do what you are told, nothing more and nothing less, and you'll survive."

"Ouch. Way to welcome the new recruit." Ben jokes as he nudges Amber. They don't seem to get along very well. Her eyes narrow at the physical contact. 

"Where did everyone go?" I look around, realizing I was distracted by Ben and Amber to notice that the others have left the arena.

"We have weekly checkups..." Ben cuts short suddenly. He seems to remember something for he shakes his head, "Anyways, you're going to be training with us from now on."

"Why would I want to train with you guys? I'm..." Amber glares at me warningly. I shut my mouth.

"You're what?" Ben catches my hesitation.