Chapter 32 | Beautiful Broken Boy

32

─── • ─── 

ISABELLA

"Wait, when did he leave for Philly?" Jasper questions as we sit in the booth of Rosie's.

After we got off the phone last night, I had a meltdown. To be completely honest, I'm not sure why. There could be many reasons: me being upset over his loss, me not being able to console him, or the memories of my father's passing.

I cleaned up the glass in his foyer, made his bed, then left. I didn't want him to have to deal with cleaning if he came back soon.

"He must've left right after I left his apartment," I sigh, finishing the remnants in my cup.

Jasper looks at Addy for a quick second, then back at me. "Have you heard any more news?"

I shake my head. "No, I figured when he's ready to talk, he'll tell me what's going on." I let a faint smile form on my lips.

Addy reaches across the table and grabs my hand. "How are you doing?"

"I'm not sure how to feel about it. I didn't know her, but I knew Miles loved her," I answer, pushing my empty cup around. I wish I knew what was going on so I could help somehow. I hate sitting here and not doing anything.

When we get back to our apartment, Addy says, "Call me if you need anything, I'll be at the library."

"I will," I say as she shuts our apartment door. Once I'm alone, I walk down the hall into my bathroom where I have the tub filling. These last couple of days have felt like a blur, so much has happened. The gala, the rooftop, Miles' mother...

Now, I'm trying to wrack my brain around everything.

I sink into the warm water and feel the tension leave my body. The heat makes me sleepy, and soon enough I feel myself drifting off.

"Daddy, daddy, look what I learned!" I shout, tugging the bottom of my daddy's black shirt. He's working right now. He's building Sierra and me a dollhouse.

He leans down and kisses my head. "Hold on sweet pea, I'm almost done."

I skip back to the enormous piano that my mommy and daddy bought last year and climb onto the seat. I play the song I'm going to show my dad.

"Okay, ready when you are, Miss Izzy." He nods his head, taking a seat on the bench beside me. I hum out loud as I hit the white and black keys.

"Was that hot cross buns? That's impressive." He claps his hands together as I giggle.

"Hey sorry to interrupt the piano recital which sounded great baby girl," Mom interrupts, standing in the doorway. "But daddy has to take his medicine."

"I'll be right back, sweet pea." He kisses my head again and stands ups.

Every day daddy has to take his medicine because he's sick. He told me that the big pills will help him feel better. I don't like when he feels sick because we have to go to the giant building that smells funny.

I jolt up when I hear a knocking at my door. The water sways back and forth as I hastily climb out, throwing my robe on. "Just a minute!" I shout, needing to put something appropriate on.