Chapter 1

Having a conversation with my only friend is made incredibly difficult by the two guys sitting on either side of her, roaming their hands all over her body.

It doesn’t bother Vix.  As one of the men runs his hands between her thighs, she shakes her platinum blonde head at me.  “Honestly, Niq, you’re acting like there isn’t a time limit.  One year from now, you’ll be chained to a bed, popping out babies.  Why are you throwing away the fun days?”

Another hand slides up and squeezes her nipple through her translucent shirt and I look away.  The VIP area of the already exclusive club is bursting full of incredibly attractive men.  We are the only Queens in the place and the attention of every male radiates in our direction.  It’s a feeling I’ve never enjoyed, even though, after nineteen years of being one of the only females on the planet, I should probably be used to it.

From our private and elevated podium, I can see at least fifty guys clustered around the velvet ropes, parading like peacocks.  They strut and puff, some even flexing toned biceps or flashing washboard stomachs in our direction.  I try not to make eye contact, lest I give anyone false hope. 

Shebastian, my gorgeous, giant of a bodyguard, stands behind me, large enough to dissuade anyone from making an unwanted grand gesture.  Not that I’ve ever had to fear for my safety: every Queen is protected by a slew of laws and any act of violence towards us is punishable by death.  Since most men view us with almost religious revere, danger isn’t really an issue, only over-enthusiasm. 

I flash Sheb the “ten minute” look, and he nods beatifically at me before speaking into his wrist com to call the car around.

“I don’t know, Vix,” I say, trying to wrap up this conversation.  “You know this just isn’t my… thing.”  I gesture at the flock of admirers at the rope.  “I mean, how do you even know if these guys are even into you, or if they are just into the idea of you?  How can love be equal when the balance is so hopelessly wrong?”

Turning back, I see Vix with her eyes rolled back in pleasure.  I can’t blame her: one of her boy-toys is running kisses along her neck, his fingers still massaging her nipple.  The other has relocated to the floor, suckling her toes while running a hand up around the hem of her tiny red skirt.  “Dammit, Vix!  You’re not even listening!”

Without opening her eyes, she answers.  “I am listening.  It’s just that you’re not making sense.”

I start to protest, but Vix sits forward.  The two men follow her like a magnet.  “Who says love has to be equal?  Look at this.”  She runs an affectionate hand over the hair of the toe-sucker, the way you might pat a puppy.  Adoringly, he leans into her fingers, delighting in her attention.  With her other hand, she slips a finger into the mouth of the guy kissing her neck and he moans gently, pulling more of her into his mouth.  “This is love: it’s just more evolved than your ancient views.”

Ancient views.  I reflect that only a hundred years before, when the male/female balance of Earth was still around 50/50, my crazy belief of monogamy was the norm. 

It took a while for people to realise that only baby boys were being conceived.  Even in a lab, every embryo was developing as male.  Governments the world over threw billions into research.  The best anyone could come up with was “unknown environmental causes.”

Now, there’s one Queen for every ten thousand men.  It’s no wonder we’re treated like royalty.

Vix expands on her theory.  “Think about it: this is actually the natural order for the sexes.  A man can only have sex once every few hours if he’s young, longer if he’s not.”  As if to prove her wrong, the toy-boys frantically rub, lick and suck slightly faster.  Vix ignores them and continues.  “But as women, we have endless sexual power!  We can orgasm again almost immediately, for a practically unlimited amount of times!  That’s a gift!  My record is sixty-four times in one session.  What’s yours?”