Winners Keepers

End-of-year Feast, June, 1999

It was the End of Year Feast. The students were just sitting randomly at the tables, not caring for their houses.

The Great Hall was decorated in Gryffindor and Slytherin colours as was the tradition when two different Houses won the two cups.

Slytherin had won the Hogwarts Quidditch Cup, but Gryffindor won the House Cup.

The Headmistress was addressing the students.

"All of us are aware of the terrible things these Halls have witnessed the previous year. But as the greatest headmaster the school has ever seen - Dumbledore - used to say, with loss there always comes some gain. With failure comes progress.

Dumbledore believed in second chances and that is why we have allowed our students, who hadn't been able to sit for their NEWTS last year, another chance to complete it.

And he was right. This year has brought about House unity, never been seen before."

Her eyes momentarily wandered over to Draco, Hermione, Blaise and Luna who were sitting together.

"I think it is only right that apart from the Head Boy and Head Girl, we hear what our eighth years have to say, before they leave us", she concluded.

To everyone's surprise it was Draco who got up.

Stepping up to the teacher's table, he faced the four House tables and began.

"When I stepped into Hogwarts, I felt that I didn't belong here. But this place has given me so much", his eyes wandered to Hermione as he said it, "I can never be thankful enough. It was here that I found my saving grace.

Hermione Granger, will you do the honour of going out with me? I promise to never let you down."

All eyes turned to Hermione and her face reddened.

"Umm, yes", she nodded and a cheer erupted in the Hall.

Ginny surreptitiously pocketed a bag of galleons.

"Thank you Hermione for saving me from myself. I thought that I was the sky, but you are the Earth that holds me together, the one thing I cannot exist without."

The Slytherin girls let out a collective sigh at his words.

"I promise to become the man worthy of you", saying that he went back to his seat beside the brunette, holding her hand in his.

The Slytherin girls were awwing with their hands clasped together, giving him puppy eyes. It was as if they had big red hearts popping out of their eyes.

Even Professor McGonagall wiped a tiny tear from the corner of her eye.

***************************

The Black Lake, Hogwarts grounds

Draco and Hermione were sitting by the Great Lake, enjoying the reddened light of the setting sun sparkle in the waters.

"That was a good speech today."

"I'm fairly confident in my eloquence Granger. I've already told you I've been tutored by the best."

Hermione snorted. What a show off!

"So Hogwarts has given you a lot has it?

Draco was leaning beside her. "It has given me you. That's all I need."

"Oh no, mister. Don't be so full of yourself just yet. We're going to be away for a while, you do realize?" She inquired, peering into his eyes for a reaction.