Speak of the devil and (s)he shall appear...

Chapter 1

Ella's P.O.V:

I sigh rather loudly and put my code number into my locker. Today was not going well. I checked my timetable and felt my stomach drop even further. I could almost feel my headache creeping closer. My book bag felt ten times lighter when I take out my books from yesterday and start to replenish my supply of brain killers also known as textbooks

"Ella!" my best friend, Simon, boomed from the doorway of the locker room. I winced at the volume. He thunders towards my locker and I hurriedly tried to protect my books from falling. He stopped next to me and I lose my balance. He catches my arm and steadies me seconds before I plummet face first into the locker room floor.

"We need to talk." He says his eyebrows rising. I roll my eyes and punch his arm making sure my sleeves don't rise any higher.

"Simon, this is the girls locker room. Your species is not allowed in here." I say trying to sound angry. Like usual he laughs and waves away my protests. He flexes and winks at me,

"You don't hear the girls complaining about this." The rest of the girls in the locker room are throwing me jealous looks and some of them are probably already sharpening their knives. I roll my eyes at Simon - again - and shift my weight uncomfortably from foot to foot.

I hated the attention and I really hated the staring. Simon notices the angry glares from the girls and gives them a frown. The girls blush furiously and turn back to their lockers still occasionally glancing at us. I give Simon a look of thanks and he smiles his supposed-to-be-charming smile. I just thinks he looks like some sort of monkey. He wiggles his eyebrows at me to make me laugh and I giggle.

"Let's just hope Miss Queen of mean, doesn't know yo..." whatever I was going to say is cut off by a high-pitched squeal as Allison and her group of minions stalked over to Simon.

"Hello there, sweetie!" I roll my eyes at her lame attempt at flirting and turn back to my locker. Looks like she managed to sneak up on us.

Lucky us!

Note the sarcasm, please.

"Speak of the devil and she shall appear..." I mutter absentmindedly to myself as I sort through my books. Allison stops her attempts at flirting and turns to me. She scowls at me

"And who do we have here? You look like you found you're clothes in a garbage pile." She sneers at me. I swallow my protests and smile sweetly at her.

"How was your weekend, Allison?" I and most likely the entire school knew she got arrested for drinking as a minor and I couldn't help myself. Apparently her parents gave her crap about it. Yes it wasn't a great line but it satisfied me to know she wasn't as above it all as she pretended to be.

Allison flicked her long blond hair over her shoulder and gave Simon her best puppy dog eyes.

"Simon look how mean she's being to me." Simon rolls his eyes and looks at me for rescue. I suppress a laugh.

"Do me a favor, Allison. Stop rubbing yourself on him, you're spray tan will come off." I smirk at her. Simon barks a laugh and pushes her away, gently. It wasn't his nature to be rough. He takes my arm and pulls me towards the doors, where the EXIT lights flash.

"Sorry, we got to go Allison! Will you hurry up Ella!" he yells first at her and then at me. I sigh and try my best to keep up with his giant, tree legs. My short legs stumble along as he pulls me and I grimace every time he holds my hand tighter. The bruises from yesterday night was still blue and hurt like hell and the cuts are still healing but I didn't need his or anybody else's pity so I ignored the pulsing pain and focused on not stumbling over my own feet.

When we finally reach the other locker room we stop and Simon peers inside to check if the cost is clear. When he deems the room empty he steps inside and pulls me along. I laugh at him and try one last time.

"Simon? This is the boys locker room. My species is not allowed in here." He laughs and I slap his arm.

"Seriously though, what's going on?" I ask him concerned and he smiles at me, trying to ease my worries.

"It's nothing major... will you help with Algebra. I'm failing again and you know how my dad is." He says with a smile but I saw the pain flash through his face and gently touch his arm.

"Of course. Meet me during lunch, okay?" I ask and he nods smiling. I grin at him and turn to leave but my textbooks fall to the ground and I groan in frustration and bend to pick the damned things up. Simon bends down as well to help and the memory of our first encounter plays out in my mind.

Things were so much different back then.

_. _. _. _. _. _. _. _. _. _. _. _. _. _.

A/N: Hello everyone, this is my first book so I hope you are enjoying it so far. Please feel free to leave constructive criticism on how I can improve my writing. It's always appreciated.

In regards to the song it's an amazing song that I feel has a deep connection with the story so please listen to it if you have a moment. It really is a beautiful song with a very deep meaning.

The song's name is For the love of a daughter by Demi Lovato

XXX

The Writer