Chapter VIII - Life In a Box

Mr. Barzetti, our young history teacher is currently at his desk, typing furiously on his laptop.

I put my books and my own laptop on the table, ready for the lesson to begin but my eyes are drawn to the frog-like creature on Finley's shoulder. I pretend to be searching for something in my bag while covertly keeping an eye on it. It gets me nervous to have something like that so close to me with my back to it.

"How are you feeling today?" A deep, smooth voice not too far from me is asking.

I freeze before I look up into a pair of electric blue eyes. The air between us crackles with energy to the point that I feel the tingles in my body. "I'm sorry, are you talking to me?" I ask him.

The intensity of his gaze as he as keeps studying me is unnerving.

I have to admit, he really is gorgeous. His hair is so dark, it has a bluish sheen to it. His eyelashes are thick and long, framing his brilliant blue eyes - eyes that are bluer than the sky. I could stare at him all day and I love this feeling of energy buzzing through me.

Finley leans forward, resting his elbows on the table to watch me closely. But then I notice something- the ugly green creature is no longer sitting on his shoulder. My gaze unwillingly flickers downward, searching for it before I catch myself and quickly look back up.

Ruen cocks his head to the side and his eyelids come down over his blue gaze as he watches me quizzically from under his long sooty eyelashes. His lips slowly curl up into a smile. I don't know what it is, but I don't like the way he smiles - as if he'd caught me doing something that I'm not supposed to, red-handed and he's happy about it. Too happy.

Finley also has that smile growing on his lips. They both look at each other briefly, as if they're communicating between themselves before they return their gaze back to me.

While everybody else is trying hard to get these two to even bestow them a quick glance, I feel like a new species of monkey in a cage to them. The way they're watching me is making me a bit wary and self-conscious.

"So...uh, Melissa. It's Melissa right?" Finley finally says. I might be wrong but the way he says my name sounds like he's mocking it. I think this is the first time he ever talked to me or I ever heard his voice. He gives me a wicked smile before he opens his mouth again and says, "Was Luella seeing anybody before we came?"

"She's your girlfriend, why don't you ask her yourself?" I glare at him before I turn around, flipping my hair over my shoulder. Stupid boys! I huff in annoyance. The nerve! Now my energy is uncontrollable again. It's a struggle not to throw books at them.

Hailey stares at me with wide eyes and raised eyebrows. She's probably shocked. I've never been rude to anybody and people are generally nice to me. While Emmet could be a jerk to people who don't run in our circle or those he deems beneath us, I'm known as the sweetest girl in school - unfailingly polite to everybody. That's why we're perfect for each other, a jerkface jock and miss goody two shoes, see?

As soon as I realize what I just did, I'm overwhelmed by guilt. I'm being rude. Mom told me not to be rude to anybody but I just can't help it with them. They make my energy go haywire and bring out all sorts of extreme feelings in me. They make me feel like doing things that I don't normally do like throwing books at people. Yes, I really do feel like throwing my books at their heads.

I know I should apologize but I'm also still angry at him for bringing up Luella. Angry at them. Angry at them both. Boys are so stupid. Ugh!

Deep breath. Take a deep breath. That is very un-ladylike and out of control action. Mom wouldn't approve of such behavior. I just also realize that I'm feeling energized, at least for now, just from sitting this close to Ruen. I discreetly stare at my fingers. I can see tiny sparks at my fingertips. I haven't seen it in a while. What about zapping them? I know I shouldn't throw books at people but mom never told me not to zap anybody- probably because she doesn't know that I could zap people but...