Chapter 42

I can't even talk back, I'm literally speechless, possibly for the first time in my life. I just stand there, staring at my mom with wide eyes and my mouth agape. Eventually mom speaks up "So I'm going to take it that you do know him?" My mom says questioningly. I give my head a small shake telling myself to get it together "mom...how do you know about Slyder?" I ask.

Mom sighs deeply and gives me a look of regret "I was really, really hoping you'd have no idea who I was talking to you about" mom says her voice coming out hoarse and quiet. I hate seeing mom like this. I step forward and wrap her into a hug, hoping that my hug is at least an eighth as comforting as hers are to me. "Honey, we need to talk" mom whispers. After a moment we pull apart and walk into the living room. Mom sits down on the couch and I follow, sitting cross legged facing her.

After a long, deep sigh, mom looks up at me, her eyes worried and wary. "Okay Beth...can you tell me what you know about Slyder?" Mom asks. I laugh short, and humorlessly "Hardly anything" I say. Mom sighs again. "Oh honey...please, please tell me you're not the one he's after" mom says her voice nervous.

I bite my lip as I feel a knot form in my throat "I am" I say my voice cracking slightly. I watch my mom close her eyes and press her lips together. "So it's true, Beth's a powerful Eribiss" my mom whispers quietly to herself. "What does that even mean?" I cry. Mom's eyes snap open "honey, I might sound kind of crazy, but have you developed any...uh...unusual...abilities?" Mom asks hesitantly as she avoids my question.

Unusual abilities? Like say maybe reading minds? Does aqua colored markings on my arm count? How about running so fast that everything is a blur? I shake my head no. Mom's eyes widen "your biting your lip! What powers do you have?" She exclaims.

Stupid lip biting habit.

"Oh they're powers now? I thought they were 'unusual abilities'" I say stalling. I've never ever told anybody that I can read minds, what if she flips? Or doesn't believe me? Or does and thinks I'm some sort of mutant? "Quit diverting the question" mom says sternly. This is mom, she's not going to flip out or think I'm lying, she'll understand, she's not like normal moms.

"I can...read minds" I tell her. It sounds so, so weird saying it. I've never spoken those words before in my whole life, not even to myself. Mom nods slowly, she doesn't yell out that I'm a liar, or run away, or even widen her eyes, she just simply nods "for how long?" She asks. I feel reassurance flow through me at her understanding and calm response. "For as long as I can remember" I answer. It feels so incredible to finally talk about this, to finally tell somebody, to let go of one of my secrets.

It's a good thing Aashray taught me how to...mom's thoughts stop abruptly as her eyes flick up to mine "you're reading my mind right now, aren't you?" She asks. I look away and feel my cheeks turn a light red "sorry, force of habit" I say quietly. Mom laughs lightly "understandable. Now, this Jake guy...is he-do you know who Slyder is shaped into?" Mom asks. I nod my head slowly "you remember Brandon?" I ask. Mom's eyes widen immediately "I knew something felt wrong with him, but it's as if I can't really remember what happened during my meeting him. I think he may have altered my brain in a small way, so that I'd feel good feelings toward him and not remember the encounter well enough to consider him being Slyder" mom says piecing it all together as she thinks out loud.

I squeeze my eyes shut as I have a hard time imagining Brandon being Slyder, it just seems so unreal, so fake. I change the topic by asking a question I've been curious about since mom first asked wether I know Slyder.

"How do you know Slyder?" I ask. Mom's lips form a sad smile and her eyes start to fill with tears "to explain to you how I know Slyder, th-there-there's something i'm going to have to tell you" mom says anxiously. I try reading her mind, nice try hon, just be patient and listen. Mom gives me a stern look, though it's not very affective because of her sad, watery eyes.