three

starting from the morning following his transfer, jungkook had planned out a routine

starting from the morning following his transfer, jungkook had planned out a routine. he would get up, devour his toast, run to school due to being tardy, sit down on his seat beside taehyung in literature class, and then proceed to annoy the hell out of him instead of paying attention to the professor. 

jungkook knew that he was being somewhat irritating to taehyung, but seeing the older's scowl getting replaced by a small smile whenever jungkook cracks one of his corny jokes definitely makes everything worthwhile and motivates jungkook to do what he does.

"why don't they play poker in the jungle?" the ravenette whispered. taehyung, as always, doesn't respond, but from the way his eyebrow raises, jungkook knows that it's his cue to continue. 

"because there are a lot of cheetahs," he finished, snickering into his palm and sneakily taking a peek at his seatmate who was biting down on his lower lip to prevent himself from grinning.

taehyung shook his head disapprovingly, sighing. "why are you like this?" he said as more of a statement rather than a question.

"admit it, kim, it's so bad that it's actually good," jungkook claims with a smirk.

"whatever you say, jeon," the lavender-haired boy retorted back with the surname basis, brushing his dyed locks away from his eyes in a sassy manner.

"jeon jungkook and kim taehyung!" miss young's loud voice suddenly boomed throughout the room, startling the two lads who were mentioned. "tsk, you both again. in case if you didn't hear what i said, i'll kindly repeat it," she snarled, agitated. "you all will be working on a project based on the shakespeare play, romeo and juliet. this is a pair project, and you'll get to choose who you want to work with," she paused, glancing around the room. "the project will be, simply, writing poems in romeo and juliet's perspectives. since there are pairs, one person will be writing in romeo's point of view, and the other will be doing the same with juliet. you may choose any act and any scene that you wish to take the perspectives out of. lastly, as i previously mentioned, this will be due in exactly two weeks' time. any questions?"

the class remained silent and miss young hummed contently. "you may choose your partners now. you guys have free time until the end of class."

people immediately scrambled up from their seats to find their partners. a few students were eyeing jungkook and getting ready to approach him when abruptly, jungkook leans in towards taehyung, causing the latter to tense up.

"can i?" jungkook asked, tilting his head. he knows taehyung was already aware to what the younger was proposing, hence why jungkook didn't bother to ask properly.

taehyung's tongue instinctively darted out to wet his lips as he felt the other's breath fanning his neck, as well as the stares of the surrounding classmates. "what makes you think that we're friends?" the lilac-haired lad mumbled, his peripheral vision catching jungkook's eyes widening.

"i never said that though, but ouch. if calling me jerk wasn't enough," jungkook frowned, clutching his chest dramatically. "i just asked if you would like to be my partner for the project. that's it, kim."

"whatever," the elder grumbled, silently considering the offer. 

if he was being honest with himself, he was afraid to work with the new student. he was afraid of letting a friendship blossom between them. he was afraid of getting too attached to him. and most importantly, he was afraid of eventually having to witness him leave just like everyone else in his life.

however, when taehyung peers over at jungkook again, he's bearing a full-teeth smile directed only at him, expectantly wanting for his answer and taehyung figures that maybe just this time...

maybe just this one time, he'll take a chance.

"okay. i'll be your partner, jungkook."