8.

C H R I S T I N E

Mornings, I've always loved mornings. It is a way to show that there is always hope. There is always tomorrow. And after the dark there is always light.

I jogged to the kitchen and almost fall down. I made myself some coffee and started humming a song. I sit near the window and stared outside. Even thought we are on the 3rd floor, the view was still amazing.

"You seem to be in a better mood this morning" I heard mom's soft voice.

"Yup" I popped the 'p'.

"Good morning" I smiled and she smiled back at me.

"You know what keeps me going? It's your beautiful smile" she said and pinched my left cheek.

"If I get any better, I promise you a trip to California" She said.

"You getting better is the best thing that could happen to me, I don't need any trips as long as you're with me." I side-hugged her.

"I love you" she whispered.

"I love you, too, Mommy" I whispered back after a minute I pulled away and decided to start getting ready for work.

I went back to my room and dressed in a causal outfit. Before heading off to work, I got my uniform from the washing machine. I put it in my bag and got out of the house.

As always I ride the bus to the diner and then I walked inside and greeted my co-workers. I changed from my clothes to my uniform then I went back to the kitchen to start cooking. Seems like it's gonna be a long day ahead of us.

I fried some potatoes, chopped vegetables and grilled some burgers. I was flipping the burgers when I heard someone clear their throat. I turned around and came face to face with Mathew. His dark brown eyes stared right into mine and he had a smirk on his. He was dressed in a light blue shirt with jeans and I tried to stop myself from gapping. He was finally out of the suit, I have not really saw him out of a suit except that time we drank tea together.

I have to admit he looks better with out a suit, without so much layers.

"Um...hi, Mathew" I smiled shyly.

"Hello Christine" he grinned back.

"I wanted to see how are you doing today" he said and I smiled.

"I'm good, thank you" suddenly the fizzing sound of the burgers got louder and my eyes widen.

I turned around quickly to look at them to see most of them are turning black.

"Cheetos!!!" I exclaimed.

Because I'm clumsy and stupid, I touched the burgers with my hands. The burning sensation made me wince in pain.

"Son of a witch!!" I exclaimed again.

I quickly used a spoon and pushed the burger away from the grill then sighed.

"That was a close one" I muttered.

"Are you okay?!" Oh right Mathew is still here!

"How do I mange to always embarrass myself in front of him?" I muttered hoping that he didn't hear me.

"It's cool, we all have our embarrassing moments." He chuckled and I blushed. He definitely heard me.

"Ouch!" My finger suddenly heated up and started hurting me. Mathew took a huge step towards me before taking my hand in his.

"That's gonna need cold water" He said but I didn't care at the moment because of our close proximity.

"Um..yeah" I gulped.

His eyes looked up from my finger to my face, we kept staring at each other for what felt like forever. He took a step forward and I caught my breath.

Is he gonna kiss me?! Would I kiss him back?! Oh my Gosh I haven't kissed a guy in so long. Wait...how does my breath smell? What if it became too awkward to work for him? What if he fire me?

"Um...Christa" I heard Jennifer's voice and thanked my lucky stars that she came but at the same time, I cursed them.

I pulled away from Mathew and he took a step backward.

"Hello Jennifer" He greeted her.

"Hello Mathew" she smiled.

"Christa, come to me after you finish" Jennifer said and I nodded.

I could tell that I was blushing because I could feel my face heating up.

"Well...take care of that finger, I got to go back to work. See you tonight" He said and I nodded. I was too stunned to talk so I just waved goodbye to him.

After he went away, I inhaled deeply and went to see Jennifer.

"Well..well..what do we have here?" She smirked and I rolled my eyes at her.

"There's nothing going on between him and I." I said.

"Keep telling yourself that honey." She winked and went back to work.

He is my boss and I can't possibly have feelings when I just met him two weeks ago. That is just nuts. Also, he can probably have any girl he desires, why would he want me? I'm just a cook whom smells like food most of the time.

I sighed. It has been awhile since I thought about boys, I mean sure I have talked to plenty of boys but I haven't dated anyone in almost four years. Mom takes most of my time and I am okay with that.

Mom is the main reason I am happy. If she wasn't here I would probably be working aimlessly, I would spend money on silly things. I might have gotten married, who knows?

Most girls who are my age are probably married with kids while Jennifer and I cook for a living. Poor us. No, poor them! We still have a lot of time and we will meet a lot of guys and I believe that everything has its own time. And it seems like it's not marriage time.

I shook my head slightly to stop my ridiculous thoughts and went back to cooking. I need to grill more burgers to substitute the burnt burgers. I am such a clumsy person.