Entry Fifty Four

"Everyone, could you give us a some privacy," Geroux said to the room. The ornaments scuttled away, while the curtains, chairs and the like, all became inanimate.

"Geroux? " I asked.

Geroux sighed and said, "Belle, please sit. I need to speak with you."

"Why do you not seem as excited as I am?" I asked him. "This has solved all of our problems."

He swept back his blonde locks and glanced downward.

"I am excited, it's just that I have been unable to sleep throughout this whole ordeal. My vigil lasted right up until I could hear your heart beating again," he explained.

Concentrating to hear heartbeats - I made a mental note to learn that skill.

"Then finally, after many hours, your body began coming back to life and I knew then you were going to be alright," he said, smiling, rubbing my hand. "In fact, the rhythm of your heartbeat actually put me to sleep."

"So... you were asleep when I woke?" I asked.

"Indeed. You woke, then I woke," he confirmed.

"See how connected we are Geroux? This was all meant to be," I said, grabbing his hands again, truly believing that sentiment.

"Let me stop you right there," he said, withdrawing his hands from mine.

He looked into my eyes. I was concerned, I would have thought that he would be ecstatic that we were now on an even playing field, that we could be together, after all wasn't this what he had wanted for so long?

"Tell me what's wrong, Geroux," I asked, earnestly.

"I have something rather grave to discuss," he began. "In the book you read, with all the lycanthrope information, did you happen to read about immolation spells?"

"No," I said, unsure of what the word even meant.

"The longer living you are as a wolf, the more you learn about how to channel your abilities into other avenues, like listening for heartbeats all the way up to spells," he searched my face to see if I understood. I nodded for him to continue.

"Immolation spells are the strongest kind of spell to which wolf-kind has access, where in death you can sacrifice yourself for the benefit of another. Josette, my late wife, sacrificed herself so that true love's kiss would free me from my wolf-curse," Geroux said. I wasn't sure what to say.

"How selfless..." I said. "To do that for you, when she knew you did not feel the same way for her. She was quite a woman."

"Such is the strength of true love, even if it is only felt one way," Geroux replied.

I thought about what Geroux said, but could not make head, nor tail of it.

"Forgive me, but I do not understand what the problem is..." I said, waiting for Geroux to fill in the blanks.

"This means, Belle, if you kiss me, feeling the way you do, feeling the way we both do now - I will instantly become mortal. Human again," Geroux said, looking at me with a guilty face.

I sat in silence. I felt my heart receive it's biggest blow to date.

_________________

Thank you for reading and remember to vote and comment if you enjoyed it ^_^ 

The next entries are underway - stay tuned - the end to this tale is nigh.