21. Like a Normal Teenager

Saying things were going slow with Liam was an understatement. I just couldn't shake feeling like the other woman that quickly. It still lingered. I hung out with Mya a lot. This particular day Mya took me out to the local mall. I hadn't gone out to anywhere in weeks so it was nice to get out. We met up with Kaden and Taylor. After walking around and grabbing a few things, we went to the food court. I was in the mood for Chinese and ice cream. We sat as we talked and ate. It was nice to hang out with people my age and not worry about Liam or Aria for a little bit.

They didn't invite Liam to hang out with us because they didn't want it to be awkward. Last they heard, I ran away from him after he kissed me in the hallway. I never really gave anyone an update on the status of Liam and me, and I really didn't want to. I also didn't tell Liam about hanging out with his friends because frankly, it was none of his business who I hung out with in my spare time. Sophia wasn't invited for obvious reasons. If she came around wielding her attitude like a weapon with me, I would get a chance to practice my newfound skills, and I wouldn't be trying to heal her.

"So how has it been not going to school? Sounds like a good deal," Kaden asked. I shrugged.

"I wish it were as easy as you're making it sound," I chuckled. "I still get up in the morning and have lessons. It's just not math and science," I explained vaguely.

"Still... it must be cool hanging out with the Moon Goddess all day. Have you talked to Liam lately?" Mya tried to ask nonchalantly.

"Well she is my mate," I heard an answer from behind me before I could. My cheeks heated red being caught off guard as he sat next to me.

"Hey," he greeted me.

"What are you doing here?" I asked. I wasn't trying to be rude, I just wasn't expecting him. I briefly wondered if he lo-jacked my phone to keep track of me. But I never let him touch my phone so that thought was thrown out as quickly as it entered.

"Bella and Lily wanted to go somewhere, and I decided to give my mom a break so here I am," he answered. "Hey guys," he greeted the group. They were drinking up the scene. I could hear the questions they thought and could see the confusion on their faces but they wisely kept their mouths shut.

"Dani!" Lily said excitedly before crawling into my lap. I chuckled and settled her before giving her the rest of my ice cream.

"Hey Dani," Bella said as she walked up coolly.

"What are you doing here?" Liam asked me as he pulled Lily off of my lap and onto her own seat.

"Socializing," I said smartly.

"I didn't know that," he pouted slightly.

"You're not entitled to my every move," I retorted with a playful smirk. He rolled his eyes with a sigh.

"Are you coming to the bash tomorrow?" he asked. I wasn't even aware that a party was going on. I looked at Mya and Kaden confused.

"Pack Bash. It's like a big barbeque/social thing," Mya explained.

"Well, seeing that this is the first I'm hearing of it... no," I deadpanned.

"Sorry, with everything else going on, I forgot to tell you. I guess I just kind of assumed you would come," he explained apologetically.

"You should know better than to assume anything," I reminded him.

"So will you come?" he asked. I thought about it.

"A crowd of people with food, outside in the cold... sounds like a swell time," I said sarcastically. Everyone at the table just stared at me. I finally caved with a roll of my eyes. "Fine, I'll think about it," I said reluctantly. Liam smiled and hesitated slightly. He wanted to kiss me. I gave him a look of warning as I watched him. Giving him a look that clearly said 'don't'. Even if I were that comfortable with him, which I wasn't, I hated PDA.

"The dress is casual," he said before plucking Lily from her seat and walking off with his sisters as they waved goodbye to me.

"Well that was... unexpected," Mya said honestly. I bet they were expecting a yelling match or at least more hostile banter. I shrugged.

"We've communicated a few times," I downplayed it.

"You didn't bite his head off," Mya corrected me. I couldn't help but to laugh at it and they were laughing just as hard as I was. It was comical to be honest. Now that I had possible plans for tomorrow, Mya decided that it called for a new outfit specific to the party. Taylor and Kaden were tired of shopping around with us so they went to the arcade.

Mya dragged me into a few stores we passed up on the first round of shopping. She picked out a gray knit sweater dress that hugged my shape and ended a little past my knees. It had a simple neckline and long sleeves. It was simple, but pretty. She paired the dress with knee-high black boots. It definitely wasn't what I had in mind when Liam said 'casual wear'.

"Mya, he said casual. One, I'll be overdressed, and two, I'm going to freeze my ass off," I said to her, looking at the outfit in the mirror.

"Yeah, Liam says casual, but Luna Addie really means 'classy', you know? Guys always mess up fashion unless they're metro. The party is outside and I know you get cold easily, but you're also the future Luna. Trust me," she tried to assure me. Despite my protests, Mya bought the outfit for me, and a skirt, sweater combo for herself. She was full of energy and excitement and mine was starting to waiver. I felt freezing cold and slightly out of breath by the time we reached the arcade.

"Are you okay?" Mya asked, slightly worried. I leaned against the nearby wall as I tried to catch my breath.

"I-I'm fine," I lied.

"The new moon is getting closer, so you're weakening" Aria's voice filtered through my thoughts like a gentle wind. I rolled my eyes.

"And you didn't think to mention that before now?" I asked out loud.

"What?" Mya asked. I shook my head.

"Nothing, I was... I should go home soon," I dismissed it. I had to learn how to stop answering Aria out loud when she does that so I didn't look so crazy. After finding the guys and dragging them away from the games, we left the mall. Mya dropped me off at my house before she drove off, promising to come help me get ready tomorrow... if I even decided to go. I had to say, I was a little nervous. I'd seen some of the kids at school the short time I was there and I knew the Alpha family, but I hadn't met the whole pack. Especially not all at once. And I had a feeling Liam was going to do something I definitely wouldn't like. Now with the new moon approaching too, I just wanted to crawl into my bed and sleep for the next 24 hours. I threw my window open and leaned against the window sea as I took a deep breath of the fresh, crisp air.

"Feeling a little weak?" Aria asked. I took another breath before I turned to face her.

"Like I might pass out at any minute," I answered, watching the darkening sky.

"You should go outside. Root yourself to the earth," she suggested. "The new moon is tomorrow and you'll need your energy for the party," she added.

"I'm not going," I said, making up my mind. Aria groaned.

"Why not?" she whined.

"I'm too weak, for one. And two, I hate large crowds anyway," I explained.

"You're going, and it'll be outside so you'll be fine. You know how to pull energy from the roots of a tree so you won't even have to get into the dirt and mess up your outfit," she said. I let out a dissatisfied breath and turned to face her.

"But-"

"You're going," she said before she disappeared. I groaned before plopping down on my bed.

Stupid Moon Goddess...