Pet Store AU

All the coworkers are my friends irl

You were the co-manager of a local pet store in America/England. You were the person that would walk around and make sure everything's running smoothly and the employees are doing their job correctly. That's because one time Brady dumped a whole bottle full of alcohol into a fish tank in hopes it would lower their stress when people tap on the glass. Yeah, they all died.

Lately you've all been noticing the same man coming into the store often, whether it was to purchase another pet and food, or just look around. According to cashiers Brady and Christian, his name is Newton. He had beautiful curly cinnamon-colored hair, lots of little freckles spotting his face, and a blush that even made the stony-faced manager Bevin smile. Yes, you had a slight crush on the man. All your coworkers picked up on that rather quickly. Everyone was talking about it at your next totally important meeting that involved you all sitting in the storage room in a circle eating ice cream.

"Good lord just talk to him already! It's pretty obvious he likes you too. I swear half the time he comes in here it's just to see you, Y/N," said Bevin.

"Yeah, one time he was checking out and I saw him turn around and look at you where you were standing by the reptiles," Christian added.

"Instead of me checking him out, he was checking you out," Brady said. "Heh, see what I did there?

"Your cashier humor makes me sick," Blake said shaking his head in utter disapproval.

"Yeah Brady, shut up. No one asked you to speak," said Lauren, chucking a spoonful of ice cream at his face. "I ship Y/N and Newton even more than Dean Winchester and myself. And that's saying something."

"Look, I don't know a thing about the guy other than the fact that he's really cute," you finally spoke up.

Lauren shot up and shoved her entire container of ice cream down onto Brady's head like a helmet (he had no reaction whatsoever). "I will not have it!" she exclaimed loudly, aiming her spoon at you from across the room. "We shall get you two together if it's the last thing we do!"

"Yeah. This–er–dark and depressing Y/N is really getting old. You could use a boyfriend. *cough* And a life *cough*," Bevin said in such a Bevin-like way, always having to have a smart remark at the end of almost every sentence.

"I'll try and talk to Newton the next time he comes in here," Christian offered.

"So will I," Brady added, ice cream container still on his head and covering his face.

Lauren looked over at him and tore the container off his head, ice cream dripping down his face, and threw it into the corner. "Fine. Just please don't dump a bottle of vodka on him!"

"Still haven't forgiven for that incident, huh?" Blake spoke, arms crossed.

"He murdered my best friends, the Great Value fishies!"

"I didn't know fish were susceptible to alcohol poisoning!" Brady tried to defend himself.

"WELL IT'S PRETTY DAMN OBVIOUS!" Lauren screamed and tackled Brady to the floor.

**Time skip to the next day brought to you by the guy at Petco that told me and Lauren all about his floppy-eared rabbit that runs around the house for no reason**

Newt was indeed at the store around noon to buy rabbit feed, where he ran into Lauren. She looked him up and down silently and then ran off to find you where you were speaking to Bevin in your shared office..

**Newt's POV**

What was that all about? I don't know. Gosh, I hope I see that lady again today. The employee with the lovely H/C hair, E/C eyes... Oh, who am I to get all excited? I don't even know her name yet!

**Normal POV**

When Newt got the rabbit feed, he went up to the checkout to purchase it. He was a bit sad that he didn't see you there today. but he walked up to the register. Christian was the one checking him out.

"You're here a lot, aren't you?" Christian said to Newt.

Newt looked up, surprised he actually talked to him. "What? Oh, yes. I, uh, love animals."

Just then when you saw Newt on the security cameras in your office, you walked out purposely, and said something about packages to Brady who was standing next to Christian at the second register. Newt looked at you with admiration, but then his gaze when back to normal as soon as you left.

"Got a thing for Y/N, don't you?" said Christian.

"Who?"

He pointed to where you walked in. "Her. You stare at her every time you come in here," Christian answered.

Newt blushed. "Uh..."

Brady jumped in the conversation. "Ya know, you guys would be real cute couple. Y/N's a single pringle and she's ready to mingle. Your name's Newton, right?"

He nodded, but really slightly. "Er.. yes, b-but most people call me Newt..."

"Okay, well, Newt, you gotta talk to her. It actually pains me to see you look at her that way everyyy singllle dayyy," Brady dragged out.

"How do I know she won't reject me???"

"Trust me, she won't. At our last meeting she wouldn't shut up about how cute you were," Christian replied.

"R-really?"

"Yes! Y/N, get out here!" Brady said loudly, and you and Bevin and Lauren walked out of the manager's office. Great, the whole gang was here, which only made Newt more intimidated.

You walked over to where Newt was across the counter. "Newton, right?" you said.

His cheeks tinted pink. "Y-yes, Miss Y/N. But please call me Newt, everyone does."

You giggled. "Just Y/N's fine, Newt."

There were a few seconds of silence, neither of you knew what to say next. Lauren leaned across the counter. "Newt. This is the part where you ask her on a date," she said in a fake-whisper, clearly loud enough so that everyone else could hear.

"Right...," Newt said and Lauren clapped her hands happily. "Y/N... would you like to go on a date with me?" he asked, sounding more confident.

You grinned. "Yes! Wait..." you then realized you had the graveyard shift too. "Hey, Bevin, can I have the rest of the day off?" you asked her.

Bevin looked at you with a 'seriously that is ridiculous how could you ever think of such a thing face'. "Fine," she groaned. "You two adorable lovebirds have fun," she said, actually sounding happy for once.

"Great!" you exclaimed, and walked around the corner to where Newt was and walked out with him, chatting it up.

Blake came out from the storage room. "Ah, true love is a beautiful thing."

Bevin looked at him disgusted, and then turned around to face Lauren, Christian, and Blake. "GET BACK TO WORK, ALL OF YOU! I DON'T SIT HERE ALL DAY TO SEE YOU GUYS LOOK LIKE PROUD PARENTS AT Y/N FINDING A BOYFRIEND."

They all looked at her terrified and scampered off to their designated work areas.

Bevin walked back into her office, slumped down on a chair, and sighed. "I wanna boyfriend...," she said and began to quietly cry and opened another container of ice cream.