13

The day after Sirius's birthday started off like any other day.

I woke up in the boys dorm, snuggled into Sirius's warm embrace. The five of us made our way out of the common room to go eat breakfast. However, as soon as we reached the Great Hall, I knew something was off. James could sense it as well.

Sitting down at the Gryffindor table, I caught the eye of Regulus across the room. He was tilting his chair back and smirking, a signature Black move that he only did when he had wrecked havoc.

The owls swooped in and delivered the morning mail, just like every morning. A haughty brown owl landed in front of Sirius's plate. I knew he recognized it because he nearly spat out his coffee when it landed. Attached to its left leg was a red envelope.

A Howler.

Sirius untied it with trembling hands and the owl flew away. Before the Howler had a chance to explode, Sirius opened it, tensing up and bracing himself for the yells as he did so.

A horrid woman's voice began to screech. All heads snapped to where we were sitting. Regulus's smirk, somehow, grew.

"SIRIUS ORION BLACK! YOU UTTER DISGRACE! HOW DARE YOU DATE THAT HORRENDOUS POTTER GIRL!? YOU ARE A TRAITOR TO THE BLACK NAME! OUT OF ALL OF THE CHILDREN IN THIS FAMILY, I GAVE BIRTH TO THE SCREW UP! HOW DO YOU THINK THAT MAKES US LOOK? WHY COULDN'T YOU BE LIKE YOUR COUSINS, BELLATRIX AND NARCISSA? WHY COULDN'T YOU HAVE BEEN A NOBLE, SLYTHERIN, BLACK LIKE YOUR BROTHER? YOU BETTER CHANGE YOURSELF BY THE TIME THE SUMMER HOLIDAYS COME AROUND OR THERE WILL BE SEVERE CONSEQUENCES, YOUNG MAN!"

As the Howler came to an end, it ripped itself up and disintegrated into nothing. Laughter rang from the Slytherin table. The rest of the Great Hall, including the table where all of the professors ate, sat in stunned silence.

Sirius furiously wiped the tear that had escaped away. Standing up abruptly, (and with all eyes on him) he stormed out.

"How does she even know you two are dating?" Peter asked. "It's not like he told her."

"Should we follow him or give him some space?" Remus asked.

Answering both of their questions, I said, "I have an idea on who told her. You guys stay here and I'll follow him."

Before I could hear what James had to say, I stood up and walked away. But I didn't immediately head for the doors. All eyes were now on me as I made my way over to the Slytherin table.

Reaching the spot where Regulus sat, still tipped back in his chair, I growled, "How dare you?"

"What?" He asked innocently, a smirk still etched across his face.

In moments like these, I could see the Sirius in him. They shared the same smirk and other facial features. Although it was rare, cruel moments like these sometimes came out of Sirius and he would wear that same dark, cold smirk that Regulus was wearing now. I hated it.

Completely disgusted with Regulus, I slapped the smirk off his face. Kicking at his chair legs, I watched as he fell. Turning around, I left the Great Hall before I could lose control and punch the living daylights out of him.

Running down the corridor, I saw no sign of Sirius. Stopping myself, I tried to think of where he could have went.

If I was Sirius, where would I be right now?

The problem is that I don't know. His usual go to move is the Astronomy tower so he can look at the stars. Naming the stars always calmed him down. But it was morning.

My safest bet was that he went somewhere secluded. But since we're in a huge castle, he could be anywhere. Might as well start with the common room and work my way down from there.

Since I am in no physical condition to run all the stairs of Hogwarts, I "speed walked" my way up.

When I reached the fourth floor, I heard the faint sound of music. Coming to a halt, I listened intently. Trusting my instincts, I went down the right corridor. Passing multiple abandoned classrooms, the music slowly grew louder. I soon found the room where it was coming from. Quietly and slowly opening the door, I poked my head around to get a look inside.

In the center of the darkly lit room was a grande white piano. Sitting at the piano bench was Sirius. His long, nimble fingers danced across the keys as they played a classical Beethoven symphony that I could never dream of being able to play. Carefully shutting the door behind me, I realized that this must have been something he was taught from his elegant upbringing.

Walking towards Sirius as quietly as I could, I sat down beside him. Surprisingly, he didn't flinch or mess up any of the notes.

As the final notes of the symphony died out, a silence surrounded us. I opened my mouth to speak but Sirius beat me to it.

In a cracked voice, he said, "I'm sorry."

He looked everywhere but at me. The tears that he had been holding back began to fall freely.

I wrapped my arms around him tightly. As he placed his head on my shoulder, I gently ran my hands through his hair.

"There is absolutely nothing for you to be apologizing about," I murmured. "You're not the one that sent that letter. You had no control over what was said."

"I know but," he choked out in between sobs.

"But nothing, Sirius. What your mother said about me might be true and, if it is, I can accept that. But everything that she said about you isn't. You are not a disgrace. You are not a screw up. You do not need to change a thing about you. You are way better than the toxic family you were born into. You are perfect."

At this point, my shirt sleeve was completely soaked with Sirius's tears but I could care less. Sirius's sobs slowly subsided to occasional sniffles. When he could finally speak properly, he raised up and looked at me.

"Thank you," he whispered, finally meeting my gaze. "And what my mother said about you isn't true. You aren't horrendous. You are wonderful and perfect and I am so glad I have you in my life. I love you, Laura Potter."

"I love you, Sirius Black."