Practically Geriatric

Sexy cover up there was made by Brooke Keaton.

Christy's POV

Standing in the shower stall, I felt the steady flow of water cascading over me, and sighed in relief. My mind had been racing all day. I wasn't sure how things with Scott had spiraled so far out of control.

I went over past encounters over and over again. I had been stern. I had defended myself. I had introduced my fucking knee to his balls. How had I become a victim?

I was beyond frustrated. And I was so sore. And weary. And maybe I was feeling just a little pathetic.

Was it so wrong to want someone to lean on right now? Did I have to be strong all the time? Why couldn't I just wallow in misery for a while?

Sinking to the tiled floor, I curled up and wrapped my arms around my bent legs, and allowed my tears to mix with the water. And it felt good. Therapeutic. Like I could feel some of the poison from those encounters escaping through my tear ducts.

Suddenly I was being lifted, and let out a high pitched squeak of surprise. A surge of adrenaline rushed through me, and my fight or flight instincts kicked in for about 2 seconds, and then I smelled his scent, and recognized his touch.

"Whoa there, I didn't mean to scare you," James said, sounding a little panicked as he placed me on my feet. "Guess I should have thought that through better," he muttered, looking chagrined.

Reaching out, I touched his face. A face I had once despised, but had come to cherish. Smiling gently, I brought my lips to his and allowed myself to sink into a soft kiss.

Leaning away, I looked into those beautiful baby blues, and couldn't imagine my life without him in it. He had somehow become an integral part of my being somewhere along the way.

I took in his still slightly worried expression, and couldn't help wanting to put him at ease.

"It's okay. I was just moping a bit, and wasn't expecting you back yet. It's a nice surprise though. You know, after the initial mini heart attack," I teased.

The look of concern seemed to be permanently attached to his face though. I hated that look. It felt like pity. But I also appreciated it, because it proved at least a little, that he truly did care.

And then his arms were around me, pulling me close. I felt a soothing hand massaging my scalp through my hair, as the other worked the tense muscles of my lower back. I breathed him in, and suddenly my mind began to settle. The endless thoughts that had been racing through it before were fading, and I was able to shut it down and focus solely on how good it felt to be in his arms, allowing him to offer me the comfort I desperately needed.

We stood there for what seemed like hours, until the water started to run cold, me clinging to him, and him simply holding me, and massaging away my worries.

It felt wonderful.

Slowly we detached ourselves from each other, and he reached past me to turn off the water.

Grabbing a towel, he gently ran it over me from top to bottom, stopping occasionally to inspect and kiss any scrapes and bruises he found along the way from my mishap in the woods.

Shaking my head, I couldn't help but smile a bit at the absurd situation I had put myself in.

"What are you smiling about?" James inquired.

"About how ridiculous I am." Gesturing down my body, I continued, " Who else would not only manage to get lost in the woods, but manage to jack themselves up in the process?"