-4-

CAMILA

7:26 PM

[To Vero]: you said she only lives a few minutes from the diner right?
[To Vero]: how much is a few, exactly?
[To Vero]: did she maybe mention running any errands after her shift?

My hands shake as I send text after text because I can't stop my mind from thinking the worst. I can't stop the panic seeping into my thoughts as anxiety sets in, telling me 'this is exactly what you were afraid of.

[To Vero]: are you sure you sent me the right address?

Incoming Call... Vero

Hastily, I swipe to answer and do my best to not notice how my fingers shake as I begin to pace the hallway.

"Camila, please take a deep breath for me okay?"

"You said she'd be home by now," the words tumble out of my mouth with as much tremor as my hands and I close my eyes to fight back the tears.

"She probably just made a detour on the way home for something."

"Are you sure? Do you think something happened to her?" The stinging in my eyes grows stronger as I hear my own question and tears threaten to spill as all possible worst case scenarios run through my mind and I almost want to puke.

"Oh god I can't breathe- I fucking can't," and I really try, seemingly unable to get air into my lungs, all of it caught in my throat. Frantically, I run my hand through my hair and resist the urge to pull it out.

"Hey hey hey, Mila? Listen to me okay? She's probably picking something up for dinner. She's tired of the diner food but she's not really the best cook. She'll be there soon." Vero's voice is soothing and almost entirely convincing.

"Okay," I relent. "Okay, yeah. She's probably fine. I just," I swallow thickly before continuing, my voice heavy with emotion.

"I need to see her, Vero."

"I promise you will. It's not too late, okay?"

"Could you maybe text her for me? Just make sure-" it's here that my voice breaks and I can practically feel Vero's sympathy over the phone.

"So I know she's okay?"

Vero responds with something like an "of course" but I don't hear it because as I turn to continue my pacing, my eyes are met with the exact person I'm hyperventilating about. There's a clear disconnect between my brain and my mouth because after several tense moments, the first thing out of my mouth is

"Hi Lauren."

Smooth.

"What are you doing here, Camila?"

There's a small part of me that registers the question and responds accordingly with an 'ouch' but it's drowned out by the rest of my body screaming 'she's here and she's fine.'

I vaguely hear Vero calling out my name and I bring my phone to my ear just long enough for me to mumble out "I'll call you back."

Tears blur my vision as I step forward but I can still see the way Lauren's body tenses and I hesitate.

"Camila," Lauren says much softer this time. "What are you doing here? "

"Can I just-" my hands slowly reach out to her and she eyes me warily but doesn't bat me away. "Will you let me?"

She doesn't seem to understand the question but she nods anyways. I just need to make sure.

With trembling hands, I allow my fingers to ghost over her cheeks and along her jaw until I reach her shoulder and I can be certain that she's solid and breathing beneath my fingertips. Lauren watches me with questioning eyes and I release a breath that I feel like I've been holding for eleven years.