Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Prince's POV:

The smile remained painted on my face as I maneuvered my way through the living room, greeting the excessive amount of people gathered as I shook the hand of one important figure and patted the shoulder of another. Once again, there was yet another party held in the palace, something my mother had organized as I picked up a flute of Champaign from one of the passing waiter's trays as my eyes caught sight of the glass doors in the room. One of them was slightly ajar, the silhouette of a figure standing in the balcony noticeable as I made my way over.

Taking a sip of my drink, I neared the doors to see that it was my sister standing out in the cold, wearing nothing but her baby blue gown that no doubt did nothing to protect her from the bitter weather. "You're going to fall ill if you stay out here," I lightly chided, stepping out as she glanced back at me, watching quietly as I shut the door behind me before approaching her near the barricade.

Gemma hummed, facing the front again, the view of the vast palace gardens directly below us. "I like to think I have a strong immune system," she replied easily, her gaze not flickering as I settled my glass on the barricade before shrugging off my black suit jacket. Once the sleeves were off my arms, I grasped the jacket and placed it around her shoulder's, catching sight of the small smile tugging at her lips. Ignoring the cold I could feel a bit more forcefully now that all I was wearing was a button down, I leaned forward on the barricade as Gemma asked, "What're you doing out here? Got bored of all the dignitaries and pretty ladies?"

A breathy laugh escaped me at her words, gaze flickering upwards to the night sky. It was late in the evening now, the sky darker than it necessary due to the cold January weather, as bright stars twinkled against the velvety black. My arms were folded atop the railing, a feeble attempt to warm myself as I responded with a snort, "I hate these kinds of gatherings, you know that."

"Ah, yes," Gemma wistfully grinned, shifting so her arms were now through the sleeves of my jacket. "How can I forget that the only parties our lovely prince enjoys are the ones at dingy pubs with his royal subjects?"

The lighthearted tone in her voice clearly told me she meant no malice in her words, because I knew Gemma well enough to know she enjoyed those sort of gatherings more as opposed to the ones held in the palace. Because she was the future Queen of England, she had to keep up appearance far more harshly than I did. She tried to sneak out every so often through the secret underground tunnels, but more often than not, Mum had her stuck by her side—showing her the ropes on how to be a queen. Poor sister.

Silence fell upon us as we gazed outwards. The light music playing inside was muffled through the glass doors, though the chattering of people was particularly clear. The palace gardens were lit up by the surrounding lights, showing off the greenery and planted flowers beautifully. Biting my lower lip, I inhaled as a cool breeze blew by, ruffling both mine and Gemma's hair as we stood in the cold quiet.

Suddenly, breaking the deafening silence, I asked in nothing but a murmur, "Do you ever feel like escaping, Gem?"

I could see her glance at me from my peripherals. "Hmm?"

"Escaping this life," I elaborated, hands interlocked and elbows resting on the barrier in front of me, not sparing her a glance as I continued. "We grew up in the palace with crowns on our heads and rules weighing us down. Don't you ever want to just. . . Take a break? Live like a regular twenty-something year old?"

My sister was silent for a few moments, and I feared she didn't agree with my wonderings, because Gemma was the one person I could tell anything to. She understood me and my feelings more than anyone else, and if I couldn't reach her on this, it would be a bit stinging.