"don't act so proud"

2: don't act so proud

"I got it, Dad. You're worrying way too much, I'll be fine." I laughed quietly as my dad started to go down a list of things for me to do as I walked him out to his car, and he finally stopped.

"You're right, you'll be fine. I'm sorry. I'm just nervous." He leaned down and kissed the side of my head. "If you need anything, you call me. Got it?" I nodded and he smiled down at me. "I love you, kiddo. Don't throw too many parties when I'm gone." He started to get into his car and I laughed cheaply.

"You have nothing to worry about, seriously. Sam will be here for the rest of the week, I'll make sure she doesn't break anything," I promised and Dad laughed. He loved Sam, of course, but we both knew that he had to worry about her more than he needed to worry about me.

"I love you, pumpkin!"

"Bye, pops. Call me when you land," I told him and he nodded, promising he would. I waved as he drove away and he waved back as he got to the end of the driveway. He drove out of view and I sighed loudly, losing my smile.

I walked back into the house and closed the door, locking it as well. I had a migraine and I really just wanted to take a nap. Sam had to go to her little brother's play tonight, so it was just me. All alone.

Noah was still having his party and I still wasn't going.

I got a bottle of water from the fridge and walked through to the back hallway to get to the stairs. I skipped up them and walked to my room which was down the hall. As I got to my room, I walked in and locked the door. It was a force of habit. I trudged to my bed and started to get comfortable in the cloud of heaven.

All of a sudden, my phone began to ring and I scrambled to find it. Once I did, I checked to see who was calling and was slightly surprised to see Christian's name.

"Hello?" I answered, resting my head back against my pillow.

"Hey, Maya!" Christian seemed happy about something and it put a smile on my face.

"Hey... what's up?"

"Are you going to Fryer's party?" Christian asked and I sighed as I slowly lost my smile.

"No, I don't think so," I told him, tapping my finger against the back of my phone. "Why?"

"Because I'm going, and I wanted to know if you'd go, too," Christian said, seeming whiny. "C'mon, Maya. For me? We'll have a good time."

"Christian... I don't know." I heard him sigh quietly and I bit my lip as I tried to decide. "Maybe I'll go for a little while, but I'm not staying the whole time."

"That's good enough for me," he said, seeming happy again. "I'll come over to yours first, and then we can walk over. If I park my car in your driveway, I'll have no problem leaving."