Sorting

"Louisa! Hurry up! We're gonna be late!" My dad shouted.

"Coming!" I yelled.

It was September 1st and I'm finally going to Hogwarts! After receiving my Hogwarts letter, I read everything there is to know about Hogwarts; from history to spells and basically everything there is to know about the magic world.

I dragged my trunk downstairs and loaded it in the car. I sat in the passenger seat and kept jumping with a huge smile on my face.

"Lou, I know you're excited but please stop jumping." My dad said.

"Sorry, Dad." I said. "I'm just excited!"

"I know, sweetheart. That's what I also felt when I was going to Hogwarts." He said.

He started the car and drove away. I leaned on my seat and played with the loose string on my shirt. Throughout the journey, I thought of the events that happened for the past few days; Dad and I went to Diagon Alley to buy my stuff for school and I even got my wand, which was a Bloodwood wand. I also got an owl and named it Frost. I still kept wearing my gloves but my power is getting harder to control. The gloves are helping but even though I take them off for one second, something freezes and I'm getting scared. Anyway, I also kept thinking what would my life be at Hogwarts. Will I have many friends? What house will I get sorted into? What-

"We're here." Dad said, cutting me off from my thoughts.

Sighing, I got out of the car and grabbed Frost and my bag, while dad grabbed my trunk and other stuff. We put them in a trolley and entered the station.

"Dad, where is platform 9 3/4?" I asked him.

"Over there." He said, pointing to the wall between 9 and 10.

"Are you serious?!" I exclaimed.

"Yep, now let's go." He said.

He pushed me and the trolley to the wall and I closed my eyes, waiting for the impact. Instead, I felt a rush of wind. So I opened my eyes to see a big red train. 

"That wasn't so bad, was it?" Dad asked behind me.

"It was pretty cool, actually." I commented.

Smiling, I pushed my trolley and went over to the guy handling the stuff of other students. I gave him my stuff, except my bag, and stood in front of my Dad.

"I'll miss you, Dad." I said and hugged him tight.

"I'll miss you too, Lou. Take care, ok?" He said, hugging me back.

We hugged for a few more seconds then pulled away. He kissed my forehead and hugged me one last time.

"Don't forget to wear your gloves all the time, okay?" He whispered.

I nodded and kissed his cheek.

"Bye, Dad." I said. 

"Bye, Lou." He said.

"It's a full moon tonight. Be careful, okay?" I warned.

Yes, I know my dad's a werewolf. I once saw him transform but that's a story to be told some other time.

"I will." He said.

I entered the train and looked for an empty compartment. I found one and dumped my bag on the seat. I took out 'Hogwarts; A History' and began reading it. A few minutes later, the train began to move and a dark-skinned boy and a blonde-haired girl entered my compartment.

"Excuse me, can we sit here? Everywhere else is full." The blonde girl asked.

"Sure." I said.

They sat down across from me and introduced themselves.

"I'm Blaise Zabini." The dark-skinned boy said.

"Daphne Greengrass." The blonde girl said.

"I'm Louisa Lupin. It's nice to meet you." I said.

"Nice to meet you too. So, are you an incoming first year?" Daphne asked.

I nodded.

"What house would you want to be in?" Blaise asked.

"Any house would do. I think all the houses are great but I kind of think Slytherin is a little scary with the history and rumors and all." I replied. "What about you guys? What house do you want to be in?"

"Slytherin." They said in unison.

"Oh." I muttered.

"Don't worry! Slytherin is great according to my parents." Daphne said.

"Yeah, even though it has a scary history and mean people, it isn't all that bad. I think." Blaise said.

"You think?" I asked chuckling.

They also chuckled but Daphne said, "Hey, what's that on your neck?" 

Touching my neck, I realized she meant my scar.

"Oh! You mean my scar? Yeah, it's a weird scar. Don't know how that got there. I asked my dad but he won't tell me anything." I said.

"It's so cool!" Blaise exclaimed.

"How did it become cool? It's just a scar." I said.

"Yeah but it's shaped like a snowflake." Daphne said.

"I guess it's pretty cool." I muttered.

None of us said a word after that. I continued reading my book  but got interrupted by the compartment door opening.

"Excuse me but have you seen a toad?" Said a bushy haired girl.

"Nope, sorry. Did you see one, guys?" I asked Daphne and Blaise.

They shook their head no.

"No, sorry." I said to the girl. 

She frustratingly sighed and said, "Thanks, anyway." and left.

I went back to reading my book but it accidentally slipped from my hand. I was about to pick it up, when Daphne picked it up instead. She gave me my book and smiled. I took the book from her and smiled back.

"I just noticed you're wearing gloves. Why?" She asked, looking at my glove-covered hands.

"I-I...u-umm...my hands are cold." I lied.

Guess she bought my lie since she just nodded and smiled. A few minutes later, Blaise spoke.

"We're almost at Hogwarts. Better wear your robe." He said and left.

"Let's go." Daphne said and dragged me to the lavatory.

I went in first and wore the robe me and dad bought. I put my wand in my robe pocket and left the lavatory. Daphne went in next so I waited for her outside. 2 minutes later, Daphne went out of the lavatory wearing the uniform identical to mine. We went back to the compartment and saw that Blaise was already there. We chatted for a while and then we finally arrived at Hogwarts. We exited the train and heard a man shout, "Right, then! First years! This way, please! Come on, now, don't be shy! Come on now, hurry up!

We went to him and he directed us to a boat with other first years. I sat on a boat with Blaise and Daphne and another first year. Then the boat started to move towards a castle I recognize as Hogwarts. When the boat stopped, we got out of it and entered the castle. We climbed some staircases and a woman in a green robe and pointy witch hat was waiting for us at the top. 

"Welcome to Hogwarts. Now, in a few moments, you will pass through these doors and join your classmates. But before you can take your seats you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. Now, while you are here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you house points. Any rule breaking, and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup" She said.

Then a boy shouted, "Trevor!" He pushed past us and grabs a toad. Seeing the woman staring at him, he slowly backed away.

"The sorting ceremony will begin momentarily." She said then left.

"It's true then, what they're saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts." A blonde-boy said.

Murmurs and whispers of 'Harry Potter?' surrounded me. I don't know much about him, actually. I only heard that he was the boy who lived. My father was the one who told me. He also told me that Harry Potter has a sister but never told me her name. When I sometimes bring it up, he get's nervous and sweaty.

"This is Crabbe, and Goyle." The boy said, nodding to the boys behind him. "and I'm Malfoy...Draco Malfoy. "

A red-headed boy snickered at the mention of the Draco's name.

"Think my name's funny, do you? No need to ask yours. Red hair, and a hand me down robe? You must be a Weasley. We'll soon find that some wizarding families are better than others, Potter. Dont want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there." He said to Harry and extending his hand to him.

"I think I can tell who the wrong sort are for myself, thanks." Harry said.

Draco glares at him and the woman came back and smacked Draco's shoulder with the paper she was holding.

"We're ready for you now." She said.

We formed two lines and next to me was Daphne. The door opened and revealed, as what I've read, the great hall. Candles floated in the ceiling and seeing Daphne's confusion, I said, "It's not real, the ceiling. It's just bewitched to look like the night sky. I read about it in Hogwarts: A History."

"Oh!" She exclaimed. 

The woman signaled us to stop and said, "All right, will you wait along here, please? Now, before we begin, Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words."

A man with a long beard stood up from the table and said, "I have a few start of term notices I wish to announce. The first years please note that the dark forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch has asked me to remind you that the 3rd floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you."

He sat back down and I looked by the doors and saw a ragged old man with a cat with red eyes. That's Mr. Filch?! That sent a shiver down my spine.

"When I call your name, you will come forth, I shall place the sorting hat on your head, and you will be sorted into your houses." The woman said. "Hermione Granger."

The bushy-haired girl from earlier sat on the stool and a dirty old hat was placed on her head. The hat muttered a few words and shouted, "Gryffindor!" 

"Draco Malfoy."

Draco sat at the stool and before the hat could fully touch his head, the hat shouted, "Slytherin."

Names were called and finally it was my turn. Whispers and murmurs began as I sat on the stool and the hat was placed on me. Professor Dumbledore leaned in. He looked like he's REALLY interested in my sorting. Even the teacher with the green robe was wide-eyed when she said my name. The teacher with the greasy hair looks alarmed.

"Aha! Louisa Potter sm-"

Potter?! What?!

"Excuse me, you must be mistaken! I'm a Lupin!" I whispered.

"Believe what you want. Anyway, as I was saying, smart but won't do in just Ravenclaw. Loyal, Kind but not qualified to be a Hufflepuff. Brave , Daring! Perfect for a Gryffindor but there's something about you that would do much greater in Slytherin. Better be....SLYTHERIN!" The hat said.

SLYTHERIN?! NOO!! WHY?! The Slytherin table cheered but I slowly went to them. I sat down next to Daphne but I was still shocked. Slytherin was a bad house! Am I really that bad? He said Slytherin would do much greater for me! What did he even mean by that?! And POTTER?! He must be mistaken! I'm a Lupin! Right?! The rest of the night, I only ate a little. Professor Dumbledore looked scared when the hat mentioned I was in Slytherin! Even the teacher with greasy hair and the teacher with green robe looked scared! After the feast, we were led to the common room. It was by the dungeons and the password was 'Pureblood.' 'Course it is. Slytherin students are all PUREBLOOD!! I'm a half-blood according to Dad. Merlin! Help me! 

I went to the girl's dormitory and found a door with my name on it. I opened the door to see Daphne and a girl with a pug-face. Ugh! She's so-Wait a minute! I'm sharing?!?! What if I accidentally freeze the room in my sleep?! I can't share!! Nope! I usually sleep with my gloves off cause' it's uncomfortable sleeping with it! Ugh! What am I gonna do? I need to beg to Professor Dumbledore about my own room! 

"You okay, Louisa?" Daphne said, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Huh? Oh, yeah." I went to my bed and noticed my trunks were already there. Even Frost. I grabbed a pair of pajamas and went to the bathroom. I changed into my pajamas but still wore my gloves on. I brushed my teeth and I left the bathroom. 

"Louisa, meet Pansy Parkinson. Pansy, Louisa Lupin." Daphne said, pointing to the pug-faced girl.

"Hi." I said.

"Blood status?" Pansy asked.

"Excuse me?" I asked.

"Blood status?" She repeated.

She's asking for my blood status? So it is true that Slytherin's only care about Purebloods.

"Half-blood." I said.

"Half-blood?!" Daphne and Pansy exclaimed.

"Yeah! Problem?!" I exclaimed.

Daphne shook her head no but Pansy has another answer in mind.

"Yes! Slytherin house is for Purebloods only. How did you even become a Slytherin?" She seethed.

"I don't know! Why don't you ask the sorting hat!" I shouted.

She huffed and left the room. Good thing I'm wearing my gloves or else the room would be covered in ice.

"Guess you don't want to be my friend huh?" I asked Daphne.

"Why would you think that? Yeah, you're a half-blood but I'm not like pug-face Pansy or any other Slytherin's who only care about Purebloods." She said.

"Thanks and you think she has a pug face too, huh?" 

She giggled and said, "Yeah! Haha!" 

We kept laughing about pansy's pug face until I said, "Well, it's time for me to sleep. Night, Daphne."

"Are you gonna sleep with your gloves on?" She asked.

"Yeah, I'm...cold." I said.

"Ok. Night, Louisa." She said.

I got in bed and closed my eyes. My sorting was my last thought before I drifted off to sleep.