10 | hospital fuss and impetuous visit

10|

10|

hospital fuss and impetuous visit

THE NEXT FEW minutes that follow are a complete blur.

My mind shut down the second those panicked words left Sarah's mouth and the only thing I seem to be able to think about is the fact that I desperately need to get into that damn hospital.

I had to call her an ambulance. She overdosed herself. I tried to call you but you weren't answering.

Her words replay over and over in my head as if they were on a never-ending loop and I clutch the phone in my hand so hard that a cramp of pain runs through my fingers. You weren't answering.

God, this is all my fault. If I weren't purposefully ignoring her call and would've picked it up, as Collin said, we wouldn't be facing this situation right now. She wouldn't be so shocked and scared and most of all, she wouldn't have to call Bishop for help and drag him into the mess I call my family.

Bishop. Shit, what was the thing Sarah mentioned about Bishop before she ended the call? I've been barely paying attention to her when she choked some of her last words out thanks to the apprehension and guilt swallowing me from inside. Think, Aspen, just think.

Clutching my head between my trembling hands, I allow my lungs to inhale a deep breath in hope of calming down a little, but it doesn't work nearly as good as I'd have wanted it to.

Bishop is going to pick you up. He already left ten minutes ago so he's going to be at Tarryn's house in no time.

The bulb in my head finally switches on and I force myself to rush down the stairs immediately.

I'm not really paying attention to anything else besides all the questions swirling through my head, starting with how could I not see this coming and ending with why the hell would she do it, so it doesn't surprise me that much when my body collides with something hard once I round the corner.

Still, I look up with confusion when a firm grip envelopes my shoulders, preventing me from falling to the ground. Though, I instantly regret doing so, seeing the puzzled look on Collin's face. Of course he'd pick right this second to return back upstairs.

"Hey," he furrows his dark brows together after scrolling across my face with his eyes, his hands not moving an inch from their previous spot on my shoulders, "you okay?"

I jerk my head slightly back at his words, noticing the moisture trickling down my cheeks for the first time. A wave of embarrassment rushes over me for letting him see me in this state. God. This is exactly what I needed.

"Y-yeah." I mutter timidly, clearing my throat as I shake his hands off me and turn around to head for the door. I need to get out of here.

"Wait," he calls after me, the sound of his steps signalizing he's following closely behind, "you're leaving already?"