Chapter 23

Stiles

It had been two weeks. Stiles was miserable, but he knew how much he deserved it. That didn't change the fact that this was hurting him in the worst ways possible. He couldn't eat anything. He hardly slept. His grades were starting to slip because he couldn't pay attention in class. Everything seemed so much less important now. Without Derek, his life didn't feel complete, or like it had a purpose. What hurt worse was watching Derek purposely avoid him at school. Two weeks without being close to Derek was getting to be too much. He hated himself because he wanted to be angry, but the only person he could be angry with was himself. 

"Dad, can I stay home today? I'm not feeling well," Stiles lied, holding his stomach to look more convincing. He did feel like absolute shit, but not in a sick way. He just didn't think he could take another day of seeing Derek in the hallways and at practice, but not being able to look him in the eye. He couldn't take another day of watching Danny smile and flirt with Derek, and for Derek to return it. Stiles couldn't take it. 

His dad sighed softly as he finished his cup of coffee off and sat the empty mug in the sink. "It's about him, isn't it?" he asked sympathetically. He had been home for almost the full two weeks since, and Stiles had filled him in on everything that had happened. He was disappointed at first, but then he was only supportive, giving Stiles space when he needed it and reassuring him it would be okay when he was putting himself down. "It's okay, Stiles. You can stay home."

"Thanks, dad," he replied, voice breaking. He had managed to hold back tears this whole time, but right now, they were threatening to spill down his face. He sniffed and crossed his arms over his chest, shaking his head as he looked down at the floor. "I miss him so much." 

His dad gently wrapped him in a hug, rubbing his back to soothe him. "I know, son. But you made a mistake and you have to deal with that. If it's meant to be, you'll get him back. If not, you can heal with time. Trust me, Stiles. I know it's not easy, but it does get better." Stiles hugged him back, but pulled away before his tears could soak his dads uniform. "If you need me, just call, alright? I'll be in the office all day, since they won't let me out."

"It's a good thing, dad. You were in the hospital for a long time," Stiles replied, digging the heels of his hands into his eyes to push back the tears. "But okay. I'll see you later tonight." His dad squeezed his shoulder for a short second before sighing heavily and grabbing his things for work. After he was gone, Stiles made his own cup of coffee and headed back up to bed. He didn't bother turning on the t.v because he wouldn't be able to focus on it anyways. Instead, he stared at the wall and carefully sipped his hot coffee. 

He wasn't sure how long he sat there before his phone buzzed on his bedside table. His chest tightened at the thought of it being Derek, but when it only showed Lydia's name, he didn't even bother to check the message before deleting it. It wasn't just because it was Lydia. He would have deleted Scott's message too. He wanted to talk to one person and anyone else didn't seem important at the moment. 

At one point in the day, Stiles tried to play video games, but it did nothing to make him feel better, so he turned them off. He laid in bed some more, this time staring at the blank ceiling. At his lowest point in the day, he pulled his cover over his head, put in headphones to listen to sad music, and went through every single picture of Derek on his phone, or any he could find online. That lasted at least two hours. Then he laid around until after school let out and that was when Scott came over.