Chapter 2

It was a dull day outside. Dark clouds loomed above Paris brimming with moisture that seemed as if they were going to burst in an explosion of heavy rain any second. But nothing would bring me down today, not even the creepy neighbour’s cat that lurks on in the corridor outside my apartment and just stares, I usually tread carefully thinking that the fat fur ball was going to jump at me and rip my face off. I strode past it confidently. I was prepared for anything. I wouldn’t let Iver get to me today.

The journey on the Metro seemed shorter than usual maybe because I was anxious for what the day would bring, I’m not sure. I arrived in work on time at 6 a.m. Iver was already in his office, his gloomy gaze focused on whatever paper work he was holding. I dropped my bags off at my desk and entered his office. He held his hand out expectantly. I just looked at it. What did he want, a high-five?  "Where is it?" he demanded not even looking up from his paperwork. “Where is what sir?” I was confused; he never asked me to do a report or asked me to fetch anything. He is very strange sometimes. "My bloody coffee, what did you think I wanted, get it for me now!” he grumbled. “Sir you never once asked me to fetch you a coffee” I sighed. What is his problem jeez? “I’m telling you now, go and fetch it” he ordered and dismissed me with a wave of his hand. “Excuse me sir, but isn’t this a job for your secretary and not me” I was angry, this was not my job to run errands for my boss, my job is to organise his day and anything else he may need done, I do up reports, check accounts, meet with foreign traders in place of him, if I am needed. I do not fetch coffee. His head quickly snapped up and his eyes focused on me. He was frowning, his anger was growing you could see it in his eyes. I would just love to smack him over the head and knock some sense in. “She has more important things to do. I will not repeat myself again, go and get my coffee now”

My eyebrow lifted in surprise. And I do not have more important things to do than fetch coffee. I groaned and left the office, grabbing my coat on the way.

I stepped outside the office, the wind blew my hair and the rain pelted against my clothes. Great I thought just what I needed. It took me a good twenty minutes to get to the coffee shop where it all started. The queue was long, but it only took a couple of minutes before I was ordering. I froze at the desk. I forgot to ask him what coffee he liked. He seemed like an espresso man but then he could be a latte or cappuccino guy. I could hear the people mumbling behind me in annoyance. I ordered an espresso and headed back to the office.

I entered his office, the interior designer was already there and they were discussing renovation plans. I placed his coffee on his desk and turned to leave. “It’s cold” he said and discarded it. I stopped walked and rolled my shoulders back. I mentally screamed. That is what happens when I have to travel twenty minutes to your stupid cafe. Why can’t he just pick up his espresso every morning before work like a sane person? I left the office not even bothering to acknowledge what he said. I sat down at my desk and started to plan and go over his schedule for the day.

By the time I was finished it was lunch and I headed out with the girls to our favourite place for lunch. A small little Italian restaurant tucked away on one of Paris’s many narrow cobbled streets. The smell of home cooked pasta and other dishes wafted down the street as we approached. We shuffled inside and took off our coats. The restaurant was warm, providing us with a reprieve from the harsh wind and rain outside. We took our seats and ordered our usual. Cecile and Elise sat opposite me and Isabelle to my left. Julie was out today, something to do with her dog being run over. She didn’t even have a dog she just wanted an extra day in Milano with her newest boyfriend, I think his name was Davide. It is so hard to keep track of them all they change each week. Cecile was flushed in the face after our brisk walk. Her brown hair was a mess and she quickly fixed it and fell down around her small face. Elise wasn’t the prettiest girl but she had the most beautiful hazel eyes I had ever seem. She was an amazing girl and I was probably closer to her than Cecile and Julie. She is such a gossiper but I love her. I would consider Isabelle to be one of my best friends in the group, Callie Rivera was my best friend but Isabelle was close behind. Sometimes it was hard to talk to the others but with Isa and me we just clicked. She is easily the prettiest girl in the group with a slender body, beautiful facial features and long legs, verses my massive hips and broad shoulders. The girls all say that they would love to have curves but I don’t believe them. The only benefit is the big boob’s ha-ha. Other than that there is nothing else besides my hair. It was just so thick, natural and long. I love it so much and I’d never cut it, I’d only get it trimmed.