Chapter 10

Sorry I've been gone for so long.  I just didn't have a minute to write.  I hope you enjoy the chapter. 

Pic on right is  Shailene Woodley as Elise Rangle. 

***********************************************************************************************************************

DREW

I woke up feeling miserable. I'm not really sure why, I just knew I would have rather stayed in bed than face a day at school. I got up, and walked toward the bathroom. Maybe a shower would help to motivate me.  I heard the water running, realizing Em must be in there. I was getting ready to use my parents' bathroom, when the door opened. A slight shiver ran through my body, maybe from the draft that was caused by the opening door. Em stepped out, fully clothed and smiling.

A hint of disappointment tugged at the back of my mind. The thought of Em stepping out of the bath room in only a towel flashed through the back of my mind. Had I been expecting Em to only be wearing a towel? I most certainly couldn't be disappointed because she was fully clothed. That was crazy! Em was a great person, but her body was not exactly attractive. The fact that I could admire her sister's perfectly toned body anytime I wanted was proof that I wasn't physically attracted to Em's thick, overweight form, wasn't it?  I shook my thoughts back into place, and entered the bathroom. I definitely could use an invigorating shower.

******************

I was in the locker room after gym class later that day, when a few guys from my family consumer science class started discussing our partner projects.

"I'm so glad I got myself a hottie for this project," Johnny exclaimed.

"Sasha's not too bad, either," Mike added, referring to his partner.

I thought about being partnered with Em, glad for the convenience of it, knowing we at least shared a love of animals. I also knew she had a good work ethic, and that we'd share the assignment equally.

"Poor Drew," Johnny chimed in. "He's stuck with his hot girlfriend's fat sister."

The next thing I knew, I had Johnny pressed against a locker, my arm at his throat, threatening to cut off his air supply. Even though I was aware of my actions, I had completely lost control.

"Don't you EVER, say ANYTHING about Emily Martin again, you hear me?" I growled.

The look on Johnny's face was one of complete surprise, mixed with a tinge of fear. I could feel Mike staring at me as well.

"Okay, Dude, whatever, just put me down," Johnny replied.

I lowered my arm, releasing him from my grasp. I looked toward Mike, who was now smirking.

"What?" I asked him, embarrassed that I had lashed out over a meaningless locker room comment. He didn't mean anything by it, we all said stupid things in this place. Why had I gotten so bent out of shape? I mean, I could have redirected the conversation to take him off the subject of Em, but instead, I had brought more attention to her.

"Don't tell me you're hitting that?" he grinned.

I know my face was thirty shades of red as I struggled with my answer. I couldn't appear too defensive, even if I was.

I forced a laugh. "Of course not! It's just that Ellie hates when people talk bad about her sister, and I need to back her on that," I lied. Ellie talked about Em's weight a little too much, so it was easy to pick my lie apart.

"Yeah, sure," Johnny replied, looking at me like the cat who ate the canary. "That's why you almost choked me."

What could I say? I'm not sure why I did it. I just knew that I was feeling extremely overprotective of my new housemate. It was strange, but I felt somewhat exhilarated by my reactions. Even so, I didn't want to let this new development come to anyone's attention. No one else could know that I had appointed myself Emily Martin's personal body guard.