16

James, Peter, Sirius, and I woke up at five in the morning on December 5th. Sneaking out of the dorm, we ran to the room that held our animagus potion. My limbs were functioning purely on adrenaline. Once there, I locked the door behind us and got to work.

Taking my chalkboard off, I tossed it aside carelessly. I stirred the potion clockwise three times before grabbing the five phials James had hidden in one of the room's cabinets. After filling each phial to the brim with the blue, weird smelling potion, I handed one to each of the boys.

In perfect unison, almost as if we had rehearsed it, we pulled our saliva covered mandrake leaves out of our mouths and quickly stuffed them into the potion. I watched as the leaf dissolved and turned the blue potion a dark, blood like, red. Looking around, I saw that the other potions were red as well.

We had a few minutes until sun rise (which was when the potion has to be drunk).

"We can talk again!" James exclaimed.

"Wonderful," I said, grinning happily.

Sirius picked me up and twirled me around(somehow not a drop of potion spilled from my phial). "Oh how I've missed hearing your beautiful voice," he sighed as he sat me down again.

"I hate to interrupt your OTP moment," Peter said. "But the sun rises in seventeen seconds."

Stepping away from Sirius, I watched the seconds count down on my watch. As the sun peeked through the window, the four of us downed our potions. I'm not trying to be dramatic but I would rather die than have to drink that nastiness again.

When I trusted myself to open my mouth without vomiting, I said, "In exactly five minutes, we'll be able to transform into animagus."

The next five minutes passed in an anticipated silence. I paced the length of the floor repeatedly in a weak attempt to calm my nerves. James kept running his hand through his hair. Peter was tapping his left foot. Sirius was fiddling with the frayed edge of the window's curtains.

"Okay," James said, breaking the silence after what felt like hours. "Who wants to try first?"

We all looked around at each other.

"I guess I will," I said.

I stood in the center of the room, away from anything that might hurt me or break when I transformed. Avoiding the worried looks in Sirius's and James's eyes, I averted my gaze to the floor before closing my eyes. I focused deeply on changing into an animal. After a few minutes, right when I was about to give up, my bones began to shift. I felt myself sinking closer to the ground. Surprisingly, it was all completely painless.

Opening my eyes, I saw James, Sirius, and Peter towering over me, shocked looks on all of their faces. I tried to ask what they were gaping at but all that came out was a growl. Shifting back was effortless.

Standing before the boys, I asked, "So what was I?"

"A white wolf," Peter answered, his voice laced with awe.

"Alright, my turn!" Sirius declared.

Taking my spot in the center of the room, the same process occurred. Standing where Sirius had stood was a shaggy black dog with stormy grey eyes. It wagged its tail happily before changing back into Sirius.

"What was I?" He asked.

"A black dog," James answered. "Now it's my turn."

Once again, the process was repeated. Standing in James's place was a magnificent chestnut brown stag with circular markings around his eyes where James's glasses had been.

"Oh deer," I mumbled to Sirius as James changed back.

"It's not even been five minutes and you're already making puns?" He asked. "This is why I love you."

"So what was I?" James asked.

"A brown stag," I told him. "It's your turn, Peter."

With a small nod, he nervously walked to the center of the room. Within a few minutes, he transformed. But I could no longer see him. Looking around, I noticed something small scurrying around my feet. As it came to a stop, I saw a rat. Changing back, in its place stood Peter.

"So what was I?" The small boy asked.

"A rat," Sirius told him, struggling to hold back his laughter.

I elbowed him in the ribs and his urge to laugh instantly disappeared.

"So how are we going to tell Moon Moon?"

****

"We need to show you something amazing," I told Remus as he sat down on his bed.

Remus, Sirius, Peter, James, and I were all in the boys dorm. Throughout the day, the four of us were nearly bursting with excitement and everyone (including Remus) had noticed. It put the professors and students on edge for they automatically assumed we had something mischievous planned. Remus, on the other hand, was instantly suspicious and kept trying to get us to tell him what we were so happy about. About halfway through the day, I realized that my senses were heightened. I could see further, hear better, and smell things more distinctly. Since Sirius's animagus was closely related to mine (although mine was superior), I assumed his senses had been heightened as well.

"Finally!" He exclaimed. "Why couldn't you have told me earlier today?"

"Because we were in the public eye," Sirius answered as if it was obvious.

Before Remus could interrogate us further, I looked at James, Sirius, and Peter. They nodded to show that they were ready. Closing my eyes, I quickly transformed (it got easier every time I did). Opening them, I looked around. Standing next to me was a dog, rat, and stag. I turned my head to look at Remus. Confusion was written clearly across his facial features. Leaping lightly, I landed on his bed. Meeting his gaze, I changed back. Behind me, the boys did the same. Realization dawned on Remus's face and tears sprang to his eyes.

Hugging me tightly, he said in a choked voice, "You guys really shouldn't have done this. It's dangerous. As much as I appreciate what you've done for me, I still don't want you to accompany me on my monthly transformations. You could get killed."

"We're willing to risk it, Remus," I told him, hugging him back just as tightly. "You're our friend and we can't stand the fact that you have to face your transformations alone. We're belong in the best way we know how."

Raising up, Remus wiped the tears from his eyes before looking around. "How long have you been working on this?"

"About three years," James answered softly.

"Sorry we couldn't have completed the process sooner, mate," Sirius said with a small smile.

"Don't be sorry about that. I'm sorry I snapped at you about the month of silence." Remus said.

"Don't be," I told him. "You had every right to be mad about that. We kept you in the dark. Honestly, we expected you to get upset at one point or another during this process."

Giving us a watery smile, he said, "Thank you."